Best Looking Dewey Decimal System Ever!

08.18.15
Hubby grabbed this index catalog cabinet at the local flea for $60.09! I was a little taken back...the veneer was peeling and a lot of wear. (Sorry no before pics...). But I cam home and he had already replaced veneer and filled in spots and had made his own yellow chalk paint from an oops can from Home Depot! It was bright to say the least! I got to work with AS clear and dark wax and the transformation was better than I had imagined! I loved it! I kept the hardware plain because I wasn't sure what or how to change the metal...but here is finished piece with some during the process.
  • Sue P.
    Sue P. Kingsport, TN
    My husband and I just purchased a 45-drawer card catalog at a school auction for $472. Yours was definitely a great buy! You did a beautiful job refinishing it, too.
    • Julie Moyna
      Julie Moyna Newhall, CA
      Sue P. WOW! That is a massive piece. I love it...are you going to paint or leave alone? That is a lot of $$$ We bought a few last week along with shop stools for, I don't even want to
  • Sandie
    Sandie Palmyra, VA
    Julie, Love what you have done with your Library cabinet. I acquired one of these wonderful vintage cabinets a number of years back. Mine has the stand, and top, 2 sections with 15 drawers, 1 section with 10 drawers, and 2 sections with the slider
    • Julie Moyna
      Julie Moyna Newhall, CA
      Sandie ours didn't have the trays. it is in 2 sections. the legs and then the top clicks in and I just love. I am lining the drawers in old newspaper and ads from the 40's and 50's!
  • Sandie
    Sandie Palmyra, VA
    Hi there Julie, Great idea. I have been slowly taking the metal rods out of the drawers, and placing a layer of pressed cardboard at the bottom of each drawer. Once I have them all done, I've been planning to Podgy some vintage fabric to the cardboard.
  • Sue P.
    Sue P. Kingsport, TN
    Julie,

I typed a response on my iPad then it disappeared, so not sure you got it. We will leave the card catalog as is as it's in

• Trixie63
    Trixie63 Lima, OH
    After taking the metal rods out of my card catalog, I used them for hose guides in the garden. Works great!
Julie Moyna