What is this prickly thing growing in my lawn?
- I don't believe it's a weed. It looks like possibly juniper, or some similar evergreen. As to why it is growing there, it could be a root that wasn't removed and has begun to grow again. But that's just a guess.
- Does it have little yellow flowers and little pokey balls that stick to everything? If so, it is Goats head weed.
- Webracing99 -- First, see if there are a lot of other clumps of it growing throughout your yard. Second, take some to your local nursery to see if they can identify it. It may be something native to your area.If there are several, fairly-regular areas, it may be something planted deliberately to either patch areas, or eventually, take over (like Bermuda grass). Otherwise, it could be Crab grass. There are several sites online that have photos of various grasses/weeds. Hope you find an answer.
- We have some little pines growing like that. They bush out because they are constantly pruned by the lawnmower
- It looks like the start of an Evergreen Tree. When you mow over it with your lawn mower you are actually pruning it. If you wanted to, you could dig it up and transfer it to a location where you may want an Evergreen tree. You might even be able to use it as a Christmas tree in a few years. Hope this helps you. Good luck and Merry Christmas. lol
- it could be a little clump of dianthis. If left to grow higher it will bloom in the late spring, early summer. I dug mine up and it is now about 3 feet wide and blooms beautifully plus it smells devine.