Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Faux Granite Painted Counters, With Craft Paint!

Awesome Remodels 12.09.14
My husband and I have been slowly updating our '90s house, on a very limited budget. After painting our kitchen cabinets and adding our homemade island, our kitchen was starting to look how we wanted it. Except for the counter tops (which we thought were white until we painted our cabinets and found out they looked very yellow next to the fresh white paint!). We couldn't afford to replace them completely and were excited to come across Giani's Faux Granite paint kits. They were still about $80 a kit...a good bit of change for this frugal girl.

After a lot of research, I decided to follow a few other brave souls and use craft paint instead, which brought our cost down to about $30 total! I put down 2 coats of primer, then sponged on 5 colors of craft paint (this part was a little nerve wrecking) and topped it with 4 coats of polycrylic. It took me only a day and a half and the results were FAR better than either of us expected. While I know it isn't granite, it's amazing how close it looks to stone. For the small price and little bit of effort, this was a great solution for our kitchen.

*****Update*****

I should have added more information on the process, so here is a little more detail:

Time: 1 Day Cost: $30 Difficulty: Easy
204 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 204 comments | See Previous
  • Keri
    Keri Grand Blanc, MI
    Looks good! Hope its durable our countertop paint chipped away almost immediately. We finally used granite tiles on them and it was cheap and beautiful too!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Carissa Harris
      Carissa Harris Canton, GA
      Keri I almost went with tiles, but I didn't have a tile cutter and thought it might be more trouble than I was ready to tackle. But so far so good, the paint seems to be holding up well. :)
  • MyHardwoodFloors.com
    MyHardwoodFloors.com South Hamilton, MA
    So Carissa, the white that is showing on the counter tops is the primer? Love the colors and would love to know what they are. I have recently painted my kitchen white but also have gone with white appliances. May have to go a bit darker.
    • Carissa Harris
      Carissa Harris Canton, GA
      MyHardwoodFloors.com Very little is the primer, because I also used a whiteish color paint. The colors are listed in my post, but you can use any colors that you like. You could try
  • Sandy Smith
    Sandy Smith Dallas, TX
    What was the material of the original fabric? I have sole stone that was in the house when we purchased it and I don't like the colors but replacing it is too expensive I would love to paint over them. Do you know if this would work on Sile Stone?
  • Peggy B
    Peggy B Houston, TX
    beautiful restoration of your kitchen...tough job but what an accomplishment....
  • Kimberly Mims
    Kimberly Mims Baltimore, MD
    The job you did with the counters is magnificent,but I would love to know if you upcycled those jugs into the hanging lights and if so is there a tutorial?
  • Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    Love your kitchen. I too am considering redoing my counter-tops. Giani's website says "the cure time for GIANI is approximately two weeks to achieve its full hardness". Did you have to wait two weeks to use your counter-tops? Thanks
    • Carissa Harris
      Carissa Harris Canton, GA
      Liliana Wells I didn't wait two weeks, but I did wait a few days. It's important to let it cure, but I think the can of polycrylic said it would take just a few days. I would just follow the
  • Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    Thanks again.
  • SK Sartell, Pro
    SK Sartell, Pro Salem, OR
    Nice job. Faux granite is nerve-wracking at the best of times. Great outcome and so much nicer than old Formica anytime. sk
  • TMulhern
    TMulhern Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent job. Your countertop looks very pretty and perfectly matches with your cabinets.
  • KATHLEEN QUINLAN
    KATHLEEN QUINLAN Williston, VT
    Recap: sand, primer, white paint then sponge on 3 color then poly? what brand poly? If a stain gets on them (say Mustard) how do you get it off without scrubbing some of the poly off?
    • Carissa Harris
      Carissa Harris Canton, GA
      KATHLEEN QUINLAN I sanded and primed, and then started putting my paint colors directly over the primer. I used 5 colors. Then I used Polycrylic by Minwax. It's pretty durable and I did
Carissa Harris

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing