Faux Granite Painted Counters, With Craft Paint!

Counters 11.13.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
My husband and I have been slowly updating our '90s house, on a very limited budget. After painting our kitchen cabinets and adding our homemade island, our kitchen was starting to look how we wanted it. Except for the counter tops (which we thought were white until we painted our cabinets and found out they looked very yellow next to the fresh white paint!). We couldn't afford to replace them completely and were excited to come across Giani's Faux Granite paint kits. They were still about $80 a kit...a good bit of change for this frugal girl.

After a lot of research, I decided to follow a few other brave souls and use craft paint instead, which brought our cost down to about $30 total! I put down 2 coats of primer, then sponged on 5 colors of craft paint (this part was a little nerve wrecking) and topped it with 4 coats of polycrylic. It took me only a day and a half and the results were FAR better than either of us expected. While I know it isn't granite, it's amazing how close it looks to stone. For the small price and little bit of effort, this was a great solution for our kitchen.

I should have added more information on the process, so here is a little more detail:

Time: 1 Day Cost: $30 Difficulty: Easy
  • FionaE
    FionaE Canada
    How is it holding up?
    • Michele French
      Michele French Cheraw, SC
      Carissa Harris They look fabulous! I am still amazed at how well mine have held up,two yrs now. And I really do not baby the surface.I did however add a clear glass cutting
  • Michele French
    Michele French Cheraw, SC
    I also have done this, and happy to say 2years later, it still looks fabulous! There is one small spot that my husband continually used, without putting down a cutting board, while I recuperated from shoulder surgery that needs a touch up... but other
  • Janettey
    Janettey Mesa, AZ
    I had questions, but found out all my answers when I went back and saw where I could click and see more you wrote, Thanks, you are a blessing to share your work.
  • Kimberly Mims
    Kimberly Mims Baltimore, MD
    Carissa where did you get the oversized jugs that the light pendants are made out of?
  • Trish Davenport
    Trish Davenport Edgewater, FL
    Wow, that's all. Just WOW!
Carissa Harris

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post