Many of you might have beautiful china cabinets or windowed cabinets to display your collectibles. For those of us who have the "above cabinet" areas, I have come up with a solution that has bugged me for some time. For this project, I used the 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3.85 R-Tech Insulating Sheathing sold at Home Depot x2.
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $25 Difficulty: Easy
Because of the 2" drop behind the molding, much of my collectibles kind of got lost. This vantage point is with me standing about 9' from the cabinets, but even further back, it just did not improve very much.
I began my clearing out the area, measured and cut my Styrofoam which is 1". I use an electric bread knife to cut it and get nice clean cuts.
So I need to double layer to get to the 2" I need. Notice, I am using some small leftover pieces as the filler, but these will go on the bottom.
Here are the 2".
I put the aluminum side up for easy cleaning later on, as it will wipe clean next time I get up there to clean. Notice with the two layers, it is nearly flush with the molding.
Now from nearly the same perceptive view, you can see what a different the display makes.
The pumpkin needed a little more help, so I placed a soup bowl and a clear salad plate under in order to get it a little more lift.
Having run out of the strofoam as a filler, I found this pink packing material I had been saving "for some reason" in the garage. It also has a very smooth, washable surface. Note also, I gave lift to the white teapot by placing it on an upside down soup bowl. You have to keep looking back to check for adjustments such as these.
Yet another example of giving lift.
The original section after changes
I try to group like things together, like the teapots
This shows the large section above the oven and fridge. which I display mostly pitchers.
Worth noting, when I took down my original display, I had faux flowers and vines. These were coated with grease and made their way to the trash. So when I re-organized, I put only ceramics, which got refreshed in the dishwasher. I did put up a couple of wooden items as well as a metal bird cage., which can be cleaned, unlike the ivy and flowers. Oh well, I'll worry about that tomorrow.
Materials I used for this project:
- 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3.85 R-Tech Insulating Sheathing (Home Depot)
- Electric Knife (Owned it)