DIY White Painted Kitchen Cabinets Reveal

When we moved into our new home, we knew that one of the first things on our to-do list would be the dated and dark 80s-era kitchen. Our goal was to have the look of a new high-end custom kitchen for a fraction of the cost. With a small budget and a LOT of elbow grease, we transformed the existing cabinets, added architectural details with trim and tile, and built my dream kitchen island. We are so happy with the results, I smile every time I walk into the room! #BudgetUpgrade #KitchenStorage #KitchenRenovation #KitchenMakeover #BeforeAndAfters See our blog post for more details! http://www.everydayenchanting.com/kitchen/
We reduced the grain and painted the cabinets using a paint sprayer and a special paint product developed for cabinets.
Before: With a lack of natural light, the kitchen felt very dark and dated.
After: The kitchen feels light, bright, & airy.
Before: The small under-mount sink was difficult to work in. On the right side I couldn't even lay a plate flat.
After: We replaced the under-mount sink with a large Ikea Domsjo Sink. I LOVE this sink- it provides so much room to work!
Before: the oven door didn't shut all of the way, which was detrimental while baking- and the travertine backsplash never looked quite clean.
After: We had a propane line installed and replaced the dated range with an updated professional looking range. We also added an arabesque backsplash accent and a storage range hood.
My favorite part of our new kitchen is this island that we built. I absolutely love the marble (a Craigslist find!) and it's so great to have even more counter space!

To see more: http://www.everydayenchanting.com/kitchen/

• Irene
    Irene Canada
    I've been petrified of painting our oak kitchen cabinets. You are giving me inspiration:)

What is the brand name for the paint which is perfect for covering the kitchen cabinets?

• Tim D. (The Retro Den)
      Tim D. (The Retro Den) Virginia Beach, VA
      Irene I have two twelve inch wide uppers I'll be painting today. I'll document progress and share if you like. I use Rustoleum 2X Spray paint. It dries to the touch in 20 minutes a,mnd can he used (with caution) the same day...
  • Irene
    Irene Canada
    Yes definitely interested on the process. Thanks so much.
  • Centrd
    centrd Oceanside, CA
    This is an amazing transformation! I'm curious...did you remove the old wall tile before installing the new? Again, just a beautiful job.
  • Angel
    angel Freehold, NJ
    THIS IS SO FABULOUS! If you don't mind me asking, how much did this whole upgrade cost? I'm thinking of doing the same :)
  • Brooke Whimpey
    Brooke Whimpey Mesa, AZ
    What color is your wall paint?
  • TMulhern
    TMulhern Los Angeles, CA
    Amazing work! Very beautiful kitchen. I like the white cabinets and the backsplash. Great transformation.
  • Hagar
    hagar Israel
    Wow, look great how can I do the same with my kitchen?
  • Ev Hobel
    Ev Hobel Canada
    Thanks for telling us the paint brand....but I don't see any mention of HOW TO REDUCE THE GRAIN ON THE OAK? Would really appreciate the answer. (will look at blog now)
    • Teri Broberg
      Teri Broberg Minneapolis, MN
      Ev Hobel I know this question was months ago, but if you still want to know about painting oak and the open grain, I just finished my cabinets. The grain was a real pain. Chalk paint
  • Karla @ Small Town Rambler
    What a difference...absolutely beautiful!!
  • Sue Scimeca
    Sue Scimeca New Lenox, IL
    what a world of difference! Makes a bright inviting place to cook and eat. Love this
  • Lori
    Lori Canada
    Lovely big bright beautiful kitchen. Well done.
  • Fred
    Fred San Diego, CA
    Great choice of materials, appliances and utilities. Love the island, sink and subway tile.

Super nice kitchen.

• TheLavenderBouquet
    TheLavenderBouquet Princeton, NJ
    Love the bright white kitchen! Very nice job!
  • Kelly Mckendry Berg
    Wondering about the dimensions of the kitchen, how much walk around room for the island?
  • Gloria Strickland Holden
    This is one time... That I like the before kitchen..better than the after..those cabinets just look so rich.. Before they were painted..the counter tops look great..and the white appliances look good.. So does the ones in the new kitchen
Nina @ Everyday Enchanting