Our Concrete Countertops

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
We bought our home 14 years ago and the counterparts were new but cheap material.

I have always wanted to have concrete counter tops made but they want so much money I started researching and decided I can make them myself. I decided to pour it i place so I put in re-bar and framed it right on top of our existing counter.

• I put primer on the counter so the concrete would adhere and then added re~bar and wire mesh.
  • Here I am screwing in the forms.
  • Messy job, that's for sure..
  • The sand with the wet sander was SO SO messy.
  • Finished!!
  • Yay~it's done and cleaned up..
  • Leta Hemping
    Leta Hemping Redding, CA
    Gorgeous! Love the back splash!
  • Terea H
    Terea H Southfield, MI
    Absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!
  • Shirley P
    Shirley P Boyd, TX
    girl you should have your own TV show. I get so excited watching the women do the work that you think only men can do, I did lots of "men" jobs back when I was younger, still love but can't do as much anymore but I can cheer for those that can and do.
  • Ellesmith Fagan
    Ellesmith Fagan East Hartford, CT
    Absolutely great job! Congrats on the success of the project and all that hard work.

My one issue with ALL countertops and Kitchen islands - round all edges and corners if there are children in the house.

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    So Smart! Love It!
    • Rita T
      Angelia James 100% Awesome! Just way to cool. Wonderful job and brave person to take it on. That is a really big job and you make it look so easy in the photos. I love the color you picked and the concrete looks like it was always meant to be there.
  • Christine - Decorated Life
    They really look great!
  • Grammacox1955
    I want to do the same thing but with an almost white concrete, innbedded with blue glass half stones. Want to do over the tile counter we have, but with further inspection the wood under isn't enough to support the weight of concrete. Still at the
  • Katie @ Addicted 2 DIY
    Your countertops turned out amazing! Great job!
  • Jane H
    Jane H Marble, NC
    Love it! Great job
  • Harriett Anderson
    Harriett Anderson Danbury, IA
    Courageous undertaking......just how long did it take?
    • Angelia James
      Angelia James Redding, CA
      Harriett Anderson Your right~My mother in law thought I was crazy.:)
  • Connie Wiesniak
    Connie Wiesniak Oxford, CT
    They're beautiful! Really tie in nicely with the stone.
    • Angelia James
      Angelia James Redding, CA
      Connie Wiesniak Thanks, I went to Lowes and bought the same tile from our kitchen floor and I took a hammed to them and mosaic-ed our kitchen then grouted it... I used liquid nail to adhere it to the wall before grouting.
  • Alice H
    Alice H Maylene, AL
    Do you mind saying about how much this cost you? Terrific job.
    • Angelia James
      Angelia James Redding, CA
      Alice H Thank you so much, we have a pretty big counter space but putting it on top of our existing counters made it cost so much less. It took 12 bags of this concrete from Lowes
  • Sharon Potts
    Sharon Potts Glenside, PA
    The satisfaction of a job well done is a good feeling. Would you do it again?
    • Angelia James
      Angelia James Redding, CA
      Sharon Potts We really like it, yes I would do it again.... I really disliked our old counters and this fits our design style.. Kinda rustic you know?
  • Janice Fisher
    Janice Fisher Clayton, IN
    WOW. How impressive! I just had a cabinet guy here today for new kitchen. Wish I had your fortitude.
    • Angelia James
      Angelia James Redding, CA
      Janice Fisher Thanks, :) Where there's a will there's a way... Thankfully my husband trusted me to do it... He mixed the concrete in a 5 gallon bucket, our son carried them in and our daughter even helped smooth a small section..
  • Sharon Potts
    Sharon Potts Glenside, PA
    Looks great! Now you know why concrete counters cost so much.
Angelia James

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post