How to Remove Melted Plastic on Stainless Steel?

01.12.15
My daughter decided to make popcorn late one night and turned on the wrong burner of the stove (All while not paying attention to what she was doing and talking on the phone). On the back burner sat an empty stainless steel pot that was left with tea bags in it and a very large black plastic spoon. After a few minutes the smoke alarm went off. She realized there was a burning stench of plastic and saw the mistake she had made. The tea bags were history, but the plastic spoon all melted into a puddle at the bottom of the pot. These were a very expensive set of pots and pans that can no longer be replaced, and I would hate to have to throw another pot she destroyed away. I have scrubbed the areas around the burn clean, but the plastic has not budged. I have even tried to scrape it up with a sharp edge, but don't want to run the risk of injuring myself or breaking a knife blade, screw driver and damaging the pot. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to remove the plastic from the bottom of the pot? Any help would be appreciated!
  • Jill
    Jill Riverside, CA
    Well, I tried Cynthia H's idea and put it in my freezer. I added a little water to the pot hoping that when it froze it would freeze in between the plastic and the pot and it worked to almost get it all off. Then I filled the pot with water and let it
  • Ronda
    Ronda Georgetown, OH
    You could use a heat gun on it to heat up and scrap the pan with a putty knife and if you use a extension cord you could do it outside weather permitting and that way your home will not get many fumes in it, Then after you get as much as you can off the
  • Barbara Ahern
    Barbara Ahern Milano, TX
    I have no clue how you would get the burnt plastic off, but I use the powder cleanser for my stainless steel pans, such as Cameo or Bar Keepers Friend...if you ever get the burnt plastic off....I think the Cameo or Bar Keepers friend will take out the
  • Megan Hantz
    Megan Hantz Spokane, WA
    Sometimes people think of cleaning as using some magical mixture of product to remove something hard-to-get-off, but sometimes, you just have to physically remove it. At my cleaning company, I use not only abrasive cleaners like pumice stones and baking
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    1/4 cup baking soda 1/4 boiling cup white vineger let soak till all bubbles disappear the use a copper scrubby to take it all off
  • Eyesdebo
    Eyesdebo Toccoa, GA
    If you try ammonia in a bag, it needs to sit overnight...it's the fumes that cleans...
  • Linda Weeks
    Linda Weeks Street, MD
    Yeah, I was thinking that you'd have to try some heat to get it back to a soft stage. and then maybe ruin another kitchen item scraping it off... let us know what you have some luck with
  • Buster Evans
    Buster Evans Hixson, TN
    Possibly start heating the pan enough to get the plastic to the melting stage (but before the toxic fumes stage) use your range hood fan to help control the smell, then add soapy water and see if it turns loose .. bring the water to a boil even to try to
  • Wanda.ll
    Wanda.ll Conroe, TX
    You might try this. Put come Cream Of Tarter in some water inside bring to a boil put on lid and let sit for a long while. If that doesn't work Oven cleaner is what I use all the time on My Salad Master stainless steel cook ware. Use it on anything
  • Angelika
    Angelika Slaughter, LA
    use a heath gun out side and try it that way or fire up the grill and place the pot on it
  • Pat Dollar
    Pat Dollar Joshua Tree, CA
    I just read an article here where oven grates came out beautiful by enclosing them in a plastic bag along with 2/3 cup of ammonia. Perhaps after freezing the pot and removing the bulk of plastic the stain can be removed using the ammonia method. Worth a try.
  • Carmen Carnegie
    Carmen Carnegie New York, NY
    I wonder if oven cleaner would get it off?
    • Jill
      Jill Riverside, CA
      Megan Hantz To put a stainless steel pot in a self cleaning oven you would have to remove all plastic handles. I don't know if it's safe on the pot or not, but the smell from the
  • Lori T
    Lori T Davenport, IA
    Have you tried ice?
  • Her Vintage Soul
    Her Vintage Soul Eugene, OR
    try putting it in the freezer for 30 minutes ad it might just pop right off...it works for wax!
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    I would suggest heating the pot on the outside BBQ grill then using heavy gloves use a old chisel to scrape the softened material off. You can also use a propane torch to try to burn what is left off. In any case, the pot will always have a stain on the
Jill

Search Feedback