What you'll need:
1. Obviously the first thing to start your project would be to find some wooden crates in good condition and similar sizes. The size of the crates will determine the size of your base and the size of the glass top (if you decide to have any)
2. Paint - I painted them in a natural colour, but you could paint them in a colour that suits your living room best. Use your imagination and don't be afraid to experiment with something bold. This is the current trend now. Paint and varnish.
3. Plywood base and four wheels - this will make it flexible for moving around.
4. Glass for a top. Depending on how stable your table is, you might need to cover it with a glass top - it will add more stability.
5. Adequate instruments and brushes.