DIY Concrete Countertops Over Existing Formica | Hometalk
74K views

DIY Concrete Countertops Over Existing Formica

74K views
Late last fall, we did a DIY kitchen remodel. I painted the kitchen cabinets, we built a range hood, and added molding to the upper cabinets. I really wanted to replace our builder grade, 1980's formica countertops with concrete - until I talked to a neighbor who had actually done this. He explained how they built molds, rented a concrete mixer . . . and the whole messy process! It just seemed like too much of a project for me and Mark to do on our own. Stop by my blog to see for the complete tutorial for how we transformed our formica countertops with concrete.
  • diy concrete countertops over existing formica, concrete masonry, concrete countertops, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design

To see more: http://www.hymnsandverses.com/2014/02/diy-concrete-countertops-over-existing.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

Before You Try This Project...

Report this ad

64 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 8  of  64 | See Previous
  • Theresa Wolf
    Theresa Wolf Reedley, CA

What sealer did you use? For some reason I can not get to your blog.

• Omniman
    Omniman Rochester, NY

I dunnnno.....usually feathering only lasts a bit...without epoxy binders and/or nylon mesh for thin projects...Im doin this over 50 years

• Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS

We have concrete countertops and I love them! I've never had a problem with anything staining them, ever. They are non-porous, anti-microbial, hold up to hot pans and skillets coming right off the stove or out of the oven. Ours don't have anything

• Cindy Englehart Cook
      Cindy Englehart Cook San Diego, CA

@Bev i can't tell really but this DIY-er looks to have had a square nose edge counter..is yours? i have a 'no-drip' roll-formed edge to my old counters so I wonder if it would be more difficult to get a nice front edge?

• Reginamurphy51
    Reginamurphy51 Fort Lauderdale, FL

Love the idea & the way it turned out

• Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS

My husband and I made forms and poured our concrete. I made concrete tiles for the walls over the counters and the front of the counters are poured concrete in a rope design... it's still a work (lot of work!) in progress.

• Doreen Cagno
      Doreen Cagno Lititz, PA

@Bev Wow, Bev! That's great detailed work and it shows!!! Awesome!

­