DIY Concrete Countertops Over Existing Formica

kitchen 10.15.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Late last fall, we did a DIY kitchen remodel. I painted the kitchen cabinets, we built a range hood, and added molding to the upper cabinets. I really wanted to replace our builder grade, 1980's formica countertops with concrete - until I talked to a neighbor who had actually done this. He explained how they built molds, rented a concrete mixer . . . and the whole messy process! It just seemed like too much of a project for me and Mark to do on our own. Stop by my blog to see for the complete tutorial for how we transformed our formica countertops with concrete. #BudgetUpgrade
  • This is the finished look.
  • This is the product that we used to apply a concrete coating on our existing countertops. There is a link on my blog with a source to purchase.
  • You will need 3 - 4 thin applications with light sanding in between each coat.
  • Another view of the finished countertops.

To see more:

• Theresa Wolf
    Theresa Wolf Reedley, CA
    What sealer did you use? For some reason I can not get to your blog.
  • Omniman
    omniman Rochester, NY
    I dunnnno.....usually feathering only lasts a bit...without epoxy binders and/or nylon mesh for thin projects...Im doin this over 50 years
  • Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS
    We have concrete countertops and I love them! I've never had a problem with anything staining them, ever. They are non-porous, anti-microbial, hold up to hot pans and skillets coming right off the stove or out of the oven. Ours don't have anything other
    • Cindy Englehart Cook
      Cindy Englehart Cook San Diego, CA
      Bev i can't tell really but this DIY-er looks to have had a square nose edge yours? i have a 'no-drip' roll-formed edge to my old counters so I wonder if it would be more difficult to get a nice front edge?
  • Reginamurphy51
    reginamurphy51 Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Love the idea & the way it turned out
  • Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS
    My husband and I made forms and poured our concrete. I made concrete tiles for the walls over the counters and the front of the counters are poured concrete in a rope design... it's still a work (lot of work!) in progress.
    • Doreen Cagno
      Doreen Cagno Lititz, PA
      Bev Wow, Bev! That's great detailed work and it shows!!! Awesome!
Doreen Cagno

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post