Trendy and Unique Backsplash Ideas

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Subway tile backsplashes are beautiful, but they are also incredibly popular. What if you want a backsplash that your neighbors don't have, what are your options?

We've rounded up some of our favorite backsplashes, both trendy and one of a kind, that are not subway tile. Will they look outdated in 20 years? Only time will tell. All we know is that we love them now and would love to have them in our kitchen! See more kitchen backsplash inspiration on the National Builder Supply blog -

• A long pane of colored glass is easy to clean, making it the perfect material for a kitchen backsplash. Photo source:
  • Stainless steel pressed in a pattern is shiny, solid (no grout lines), and easy to clean. Source:
  • Beadboard is affordable and it makes a big impact in the kitchen, giving the kitchen a cottage chic aesthetic. Source:¤tPage=1&index=21&relatedPhotoId=
  • Have you ever seen anything like this pebble backsplash? This is about as unique as it gets! Source:
  • A chalkboard backsplash lets you choose your design...and change it at your whim! Chalkboards are also great places to write grocery lists and keep a recipe at eye level. Source:
  • Matina V
    Matina V Everett, WA
    These are all very creative ideas. Love it.
  • Britt
    Britt Cumming, GA
    To me it looks like they painted the wall then used glass on top (more practical if you're someone [like me] who would become bored with the color after a short period of time). Plus, I'm not sure that plexiglass wouldn't be safer than glass (if you're a
    • Josephine Howland
      Josephine Howland Conway, NH
      Britt I've seen bloggers talk about this idea, and I believe that they used tempered glass, that would stand up to even my klutziness. My husband and I have talked about using WWII victory garden prints behind glass as a backsplash.
  • Charmaine
    Charmaine Pinellas Park, FL
    Put up fabric or wall paper and put up clear plexiglass over it, can use stainless steel washers and screws to attach. Looks great. Also is easier to change the look. Unscrew it and change it the fabric whenever you want!
  • Austell, GA
    Great idea, Charmaine!
  • Darla
    Darla Montgomery Village, MD
    If you paint the back of the glass before you put it up, it will look great! You can also use stencils to make a design on the back of clear glass, then paint a background color on top of it.

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post