Crafting is expensive! I try to keep all of my projects budget-friendly but, even so, it still takes a big chunk of change. This is why I love projects like this topiary. The entire project cost less than $10 to make. Really, probably less than $5 considering I could make multiple topiaries with the materials.
To make the ball I used coffee filters, liquid Rit Dye in Scarlet, a paper lantern, hot glue, and a stapler. The coffee filters and stapler are from Dollar Tree; the lantern and glue are from Michael's; and the dye is c/o Rit Dye.
First, I dyed the filters. This is a super-easy process. I mixed 1/8 cup of liquid dye with 1 cup hot water in a small container. Next, I folded the filters into quarters and dip-dyed them.
I did bunches of 10 or so and line-dried them in my shower overnight. They also be dried flat in small stacks. I ended up using almost 150 filters.
To make the flowers I took 3 filters and folded them into quarters. Then I cut a scallop design into the edge and unfolded it. Next I grabbed the center into a small bunch and stapled it.
Next, I used my fingers to crimp and fold up each layer to make the petals.
To make the topiary, I simply hot-glued the flowers, making sure the coverage was even and full
Finally, I set it on large pedestal. This could also be made using a large styrofoam ball. I like the option of being able to hang it also by using the lantern