Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Reuse 07.16.14

1 Post = 9 Rustic Elegant Shelves

Sometimes hanging a collection is a challenge. It's difficult to buy the perfect item to solve the problem. So I figured out how to use a 6" by 6" post to display my North Carolina pottery collection.
Make sure the wood is cured. This piece I salvaged on a junkin' trip had been out in the back yard for ages. Then we put it in the sun for another week to completely dry out.
Here is how my hubby solved the problem of getting the shelf to hand close to the wall. Hanging the shelves was the same as hanging a grouping of pictures. I did have to compensate for the height of each bowl and container so my grouping is not completely perfect - lots of compromise. To keep the bowls from tipping forward or falling off, I used one tiny nail with a head. For the containers with lids I used a little glue dot like the kind you can buy a Michaels.
Before hanging, I coated the back of each piece with some shellac to prevent any bleeding through of stains. But you'll see I missed one piece at the top left. Easy to fix by adding a couple of coats of shellac and touching up the wall. Live and learn right? I love this effect. It is out of the way and we enjoy it daily.
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $10 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://mypatchofbluesky.com/?p=1068

4 Comments Displaying 4 of 4 comments
  • Katie Hanson (1100 Sq Ft)
    I love this idea! i have tons of old wood that i could use for this!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Marion Nesbitt
    Great idea. The wood is so complementary to your collection. What did you do to ensure the items don't slip off?
    • My Patch of Blue Sky
      My Patch of Blue Sky Greensboro, NC
      Marion Nesbitt Oh Marion thanks for reminding me - I will update the info. I used tiny little nails you can barely see. The ones with heads. Thanks!
My Patch of Blue Sky

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!