1 Post = 9 Rustic Elegant Shelves

Sometimes hanging a collection is a challenge. It's difficult to buy the perfect item to solve the problem. So I figured out how to use a 6" by 6" post to display my North Carolina pottery collection.
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $10 Difficulty: Moderate
Make sure the wood is cured. This piece I salvaged on a junkin' trip had been out in the back yard for ages. Then we put it in the sun for another week to completely dry out.
Here is how my hubby solved the problem of getting the shelf to hand close to the wall. Hanging the shelves was the same as hanging a grouping of pictures. I did have to compensate for the height of each bowl and container so my grouping is not completely perfect - lots of compromise. To keep the bowls from tipping forward or falling off, I used one tiny nail with a head. For the containers with lids I used a little glue dot like the kind you can buy a Michaels.
Before hanging, I coated the back of each piece with some shellac to prevent any bleeding through of stains. But you'll see I missed one piece at the top left. Easy to fix by adding a couple of coats of shellac and touching up the wall. Live and learn right? I love this effect. It is out of the way and we enjoy it daily.

To see more: http://mypatchofbluesky.com/?p=1068

on This Post

• Jeff Amin
    Vou fazer isto! Perfeito! Parabéns!
  • Deanna Mills
    Deanna Mills East Saint Louis, IL
    I have some blocks of wood from some pallets and I didn't know what to do with them. They are perfect for this project. Thank You so much for sharing.
  • Renata
    Renata Hermiston, OR
    This is really kool. Just up my decor ally, lol
  • Joy Johnson
    Joy Johnson Fairfield, CA
    Love, Love, this what a genius.
  • Amaurian
    Amaurian Waldorf, MD
    Brilliant!!!! Can't wait to display in the hubby's baseball collection! In his cave!
My Patch of Blue Sky