Hometalk.com

Reclaimed Door Coffee Table

In search of a unique and affordable coffee table, I decided to build my own using reclaimed materials. My father-in-law found a solid wood door, and my father gave me some salvaged walnut from the neighbor's barn that was torn down. Using only a circular saw and a Kreg Jig, we finished the table in record time. We cut off the ends of the table for the legs at 15" tall, leaving 50" for the top. We measured the width and used scrap furring strips for cleats on the legs, then nailed walnut planks into the cleats. With a quick trim piece of walnut on the lip of the shelf, we were done! Our only cost was in screws and nails. Since then we've found several discarded doors on the curb in our town, and have built door tables for friends! For step-by-step instructions visit my post: http://www.killerbdesigns.com/reclaimed-door...
26 Comments Displaying 15 of 26 comments | See Previous
  • MaryAnn D Ocala, FL
    Love this one of the great ideas I have seen yet...
  • Lorraine V Rochester, NY
    would be great in my family room! nice
  • Ok, but you need to loose the door knob!
  • Amber F Albuquerque, NM
    yeah that door knob is a parents nightmare
  • i like the color! if keeping doorknob, i think it's worth changing it out for something more vintage looking. or take out the knob and replace hole with a vase for fresh flowers. nice work!
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    like your comment KMS "then you HAVE to keep it" hehehe

babies play with and are intrigued by everything...I love it. Great job

• Marg C Middletown, NY
    looking at it further...it matches the legnth of your sectional which is awsome...and I totally like the storage underneath for baby books and such. again, great job.
  • Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Brooke - this is fabulous!! If a simple door knob is entertaining then who needs Fisher Price, right? IF, at some point you wanted a slight change just have glass cut to fit right inside the panels and put family pictures or anything w/a low profile.
  • Leida R Tampa, FL
    What a great idea.
  • Margaret E Atlanta, GA
    Great job, Brooke!
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I have always loved those vintage glass door knobs...perhaps you con find one at a resource type place.....only needing one you do not have to worry about it matching anything else.
  • The Space Between Key West, FL
    Another awesome project! Such a cool upcycle. I'm in the market for coffee table ideas so this is just perfect! Thank you for the inspiration.
  • I have seen one before but without the door knobs. I kind of like the door knobs as they as a nice touch.
  • CeeJai Stockbridge, GA
    That looks close to my kitchen counter including door knobs and hinges, my door is from a school library... fun fun fun
  • Marsha Taylor, MI
    I love love this!!!