ReferenceError: Can't find variable: Set http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:28 http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:1 in t http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:1 http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:1 in t http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:34 http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:1 in t http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/react-in-angular.86e888c7c6caf51992f9.9094.js:1 http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:1 in t http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/common.57b191e0b86acfe39085.9094.js:1 in webpackJsonp Painting deck | Hometalk

Painting deck

I am considering painting my deck with either a product from Lowes' or Home depot that puts a new finish on your deck. Which product is better? Also, can anyone recommend a good deck cleaner?

• Looking at your deck surface. I would suggest as a first step power wash it. You can rent these units at several locations. You need to move just fast enough to clean, but fast enough so you do not tear into the wood surface. As the power washer will lift the grain of the wood, making you need to sand before you apply finish, As far as prep materials. This is dependent upon the brand of stain or sealer your using. Each has their own product. But if you clean the deck and allow to dry, you may find that you will not need these products. I suggest that instead of using one of the big apron store brands, that you go to a local paint supplier in the area. They will have name brands and the necessary experience to advise you on the product that you select. The apron stores simply do not have this expertise at all of them. In any case, its not really the brand that is a concern, its the quality of the prep and application of the product. If you prep wrong,, even the best install will fail.

• P.j. C
    P.j. C Washington, IN

He's right--a power washer will remove most of the weathered gray from your deck.

• Energy Wise Mfg.
    Energy Wise Mfg. Shullsburg, WI

I painted mine twice in 5 years, did everything properly according to the instructions and it was a total waste of time, the paint flaked and peeled terribly....... this spring I removed the remaining paint and prepped it, then applied TWP Total Wood Preservative, their kit comes with a cleaner and a wood brightener, it looks great and I believe this product is the answer to my problems, remember paint goes "ON", stain goes "IN". Check their products out at www.twpstain.com Lots of colors to choose from and a great cleaner and old wood brightener also.

Before

Before

After

After

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA

Your deck looks nasty like mine. I live among very large trees and no matter the season, there are leaves on the deck...leaves get wet and make it ugly. We have had a very wet winter and summer so mine is very ugly! We used a deck cleaner and then put on a spray that was supposed make it look new but it was just sticky and oily...I hated it. All we are going to do is clean it up and live with it. I had a friend whose deck did not get leaves and it got a lot of sunshine...it was bright and beautiful! Oh well...can't cut down all the trees. BTW, what I have read on reviews on these "restoring and covering" applications, I would never use one. They are expensive and I have not read a single review that says they work.

• Kim Dagenais
    Kim Dagenais Canada

Hi Judy I have a large cedar deck, and a large pressure treated deck too. It seems each summer after we stain them, by the time winter comes and goes the decks look like they need to be sanded and stained again. Believe me we have tried so many products, stains, and sealers. We are definitely getting tired of doing all this work year after year. I found this product this year by Rust-Oleum called Restore for wood and concrete. I bought the Restore for concrete and boy my front entrance looks fantastic. The finish is 10x stronger than paint, is like a liquid armor, is non slip, and there are 60-80 colours to choose from. It is recommended that you apply two coats. Go to the link below and check out this product. http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/restore/deck-and-concrete-restore-10x My husband and I are going to do our decks in the very near future with this product. I have a boardwalk in my front entrance leading to my front steps, and in the winter this boardwalk is super slippery. (I almost fell a couple of times) So if this Restore product is non-slip, then I have it made for the winter, and years to come. This product is no more expensive than a gallon of stain. Hope this was helpful.

• Marion Nesbitt
      Marion Nesbitt Canada

@Kim Dagenais Have not heard good things about Rustoleum product for decks. I used Tung oil which sinks into the wood fibres and actually strengthens them. Darkens the wood a tone but acts as a moisture protector, too. I give a coat every year but probably not necessary. Not sticky, not slippery. Live on the Prairies. Maggiescornerdodorg... her recipe below uses Lindseed oil and might be a go if you want colour.

• DeDe @ Designed Decor
    DeDe @ Designed Decor Canton, OH

Judy, I would try the power washing and cleaning step like the others suggested. You maybe able to use a semi transparent stain and protection after cleaning. You will have to power wash and treat your deck each year to keep it looking good. We do this every year and our deck is 15+ years old. If you discover that you need more than a stain to help the deck I would recommend a product called Restore by Rustoleum. Here are 2 links of people who have use it.http://designeddecor.com/applying-rust-oleum-restore-deck-concrete-front-steps/ or http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/rust-oleum-deck-restore/

• Gerry Snyder
    Gerry Snyder Parkville, MD

Def power wash first - we used Behrs DeckOver from Home Depot . Our deck is OLD and it is unbelievable how good it looks ! We have previously used HD stains , but this is the best thing we have ever done ! HUGE transformation - everyone comments on it ! Rustoleum also has a similar product , but gets bad reviews . Also, it comes in a lot of colors !

• Dog Geek
    Dog Geek Grantham, NH

Rustoleum restore worked great on one deck and totally failed on another. I wrote to the company and they refunded my money and sent step by step instructions for the deck that failed. I followed them and took pictures of each step in process and at completion. The key is to do a thorough power washing and a water test. If the deck absorbs the water it is ready to stain. If the water puddles power wash or sand until it does. We'll see how deck 2 makes it through the winter.

• Judy Kelley
    Judy Kelley Pleasant Grove, AL

thank you for your response. I will research it.

• Judy Kelley
    Judy Kelley Pleasant Grove, AL

yes, you are correct. the more I review these products the more I am apprehensive. I got a reply from a guy that I will pass along to you. A product called TWP stain.

• Judy Kelley
    Judy Kelley Pleasant Grove, AL

you might want to check out a product called TWP stain also. I am thinking strongly about this product. I will let you know if I do and what my deck looks like.

• Barbara
    Barbara Laconia, NH

We just used the new Home Depot deck paint. It is heavy and seeps into the cracks and nail holes. Deck looks great! It did take hand paint brush to work it in, roller wasn't getting great coverage. Would highly recommend this product.

• Judy Kelley
    Judy Kelley Pleasant Grove, AL

thank you for replying!

• Cheryl Anderson
    Cheryl Anderson Winchester, VA

Use a good deck wash, then use Restore.

• Judy Kelley
    Judy Kelley Pleasant Grove, AL

have you used this product. If so, how long ago and can you send pictures.? thanks

• Susie Norton
    Susie Norton Woodland Park, CO

Had terrible results wuth Restore by Restoluem! Would never use it again and would Never recommend it!!

• Kim Dagenais
      Kim Dagenais Canada

@Susie Norton Hi Susie My husband and I are thinking about using Restore for our decks for the first time as we have tried so many other sealers and stains, and are kind of tired of having to refinish our decks year after year. We tried Restore for our concrete entrance way, and it worked perfectly and looks great. What issues did you have with Restore for deck wood? Would like to know before we go out and purchase it. Thanks

• Jane Cashion
    Jane Cashion

Can't wait to read all the advise. My deck looks like yours so I hope its an easy job due to my deck being so large.

• Comet
    Comet Oradell, NJ

Sigh we have to do this too---this last killer winter did ours in! HARBOR FREIGHT has a power washer that we bought just to do this for MUCH LESS than ones at WM etc (which we bought but returned as it didn't really power wash at all!) We have used it a few times (not on deck yet) and a few tips---the soap is NOT used on the POWER setting; use the hose and wand to get the soap ON the wood and THEN power wash. Don't aim at one spot for more than a few secs as it can actually damage the wood esp if it is old. Even on well water this has a LOT of force behind it! Don't use it on paint that you want to save. You prob WILL need a stiff brush and paint scraper to get all the crud off and out between boards etc. Then wash it away. So far we have used this on our motorcycle--the extremely buggy crusted windscreen came very clean even with cold water; the chrome washed nicely; the wheels (alloy) came out really nicely which is a big issue on this bike; we used it for second story sliding glass doors; and we used it to test clean an old pet cage that had yucky stuff on the bottom. Oh--and for CARS!!!! All worked really well. For under $75 (don't forget the COUPON!!!!) this is a great investment. Other things we are going to use it for---those pesky webs and old (sprayed) wasp homes; garage doors; the strip of alum siding under our roof that is weirdly discolored; prep for re-doing our metal exterior doors---Oh and it does a GREAT job on your car and wheels too!!!

• Mary Beth
    Mary Beth Moncks Corner, SC

Simple pressure washing will make it look brand new!

• Maggiescornerdotorg
    Maggiescornerdotorg Bagdad, FL

@Judy Kelley your deck looks like mine, I'm in NW FL. I have huge old Oak Trees. After much research I've decided not to use any commercial deck coating products. The way I am cleaning mine is a hose sprayer pot (Ortho) and I sprayed decks wet with plain water and brushed off debri, then put bleach (the bleach is to kill the mold/mildew - that is what makes the green and black look on the wood) in the pot and set on 8 and sprayed deck, then scrubbed with deck brush on long handle. Then sprayed very well again with plain water while brushing again several times. I am thinking of something like Murphy's Oil to wash the decks. My son wants to pressure wash the decks for me but I am worried about damaging the old wood with high pressure, we may try it on a section out of the main area of the deck to test it. Once I get mine cleaned up I plan to use a recipe that I found online. It is an excerpt from a book by James and Morris Carey. They say after deck is cleaned well, then mix up equal parts of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil, pigment (the kind used to color paint,) and mildewcide (a pesticide that kills mildew; it’s available at paint stores) and then add pigment to the intensity you like, and stir in a package of mildicide. (Follow the instructions for the mildewcide as if you were adding it to an equal volume of paint.) I started a page on my blog to record my deck restoration, I should put it on here also.

• Marion Nesbitt
      Marion Nesbitt Canada

@Maggiescornerdotorg Sounds very good! I might not use Murphy's as might leave a film - that could interfere with the absorption of your mixture containing Linseed oil. I used Tung oil. It soaks into the wood fibres and actually strengthens them. Darkens the tone a bit but is a moisture protector, too. Live on the Prairies in Canada where we get extremes of heat and cold. But don't have to deal with mold/mildew issues where deck is located.

• Jayne Ciasto
    Jayne Ciasto Chicago, IL

Power washed ours and used Home Depot's Deck Over in Barn Red. First picture is truer to real color (copied off phone). I had new and old wood, so needed something to cover both and have them look uniform. Pretty thick paint, but we did it ourselves. Really love how it looks and so far, it's holding up well after 6 months.

• Julee Ellison
    Julee Ellison Crittenden, KY

Be very leary of the Behr Deckover. A lot of good reviews the first year it was out, but then all of the reviews go way downhill after the first year. It peels and curls up, and it can be a real bear to get off so you can re-stain the wood with a good stain.

• Dorothy Hall
      Dorothy Hall Ringgold, VA

@Julee Ellison this is so true wish someone had told us before we used Behr Deckover, what a pain and an expensive problem

• Will Luthi
    Will Luthi Tecumseh, MO

We used treated wood when making our deck. How long does one let this treated material (wood) dry before putting on Thompson's or paint

• Donna
    Donna Newaygo, MI

Our home is 12 years old. Previous owners appear to have never given any thought to preserving the deck. We power washed it, then used Restore4X on it. Friends used the 10x option as they had more deck damage to cover. The colors they have are great. We were able to get an almost perfect match to our shutters. Looks like new!

• Judy Kelley
    Judy Kelley Pleasant Grove, AL

i am thinking I may go with Olympic deck stain

• David And Gloria
    David And Gloria Portland, OR

Over the years I have tried numerous products. This year, I rented a floor sander and sanded our decks down to clean bare wood. This year I used a toner made by Olympic that a four year warranty. I rather doubt any deck product will last that long but after thirty five years of looking for a good product, I have settled on one without any sort of pigment. In the past, I would clean the old stain off the deck but could never get all the old pigment off and the deck would look blotchy. All of our neighbors have commented as our deck looks brand new. No more pigments of colors for this guy. Oh, by the way, never ever paint your decking.

• David And Gloria
    David And Gloria Portland, OR

I hope you are all careful with the pressure washer. If you get the nozzle to close to the wood, it will take the soft wood leaving ridges like you find on a spit shingle. After years of redoing our deck, we started feeling the ridges but the sanding to care of that. OK, I'm done.

• Judy Kelley
    Judy Kelley Pleasant Grove, AL

thank you for your reply

• LaVonne D
    LaVonne D Gore, OK

Our company does restoration on log homes. Most of them have large porches and decks. We use Sansin log home products. We power wash with Sansin multi-wash and then stain with Sansin DEC stains. Paints tend to crack and chip quickly when exposed to the elements. Water gets under the paint chips and leads to rot. The good quality stains are more expensive, but re-doing a deck is a lot of work. having to do it once every 7 years or so is much better than every other year. The big box stores don't sell the better quality stains. You can learn more about them on Sansin's website and can be ordered here: http://www.loghelp.com/c-23-deck-finishes-log-home.aspx

• Carol Harris
    Carol Harris Jonesboro, AR

I was thinking about using deckover, and checked it out on line and ask on this page decided not to use it, so glad I didn't, but got some good advice from hometalk, so I used Behr stain and sealed all in one, I'm happy with my decision, good luck with whatever you decide.

Answer this Hometalker's question!