DIY Cowboy Cooler

seasonal 5 days ago
I was in love with the look of a rustic cooler for our patio, but was turned off by the high prices. So my husband and I took an old cooler apart and built our own! The base is held by a 2x2 frame, covered in reclaimed fence posts found by the curb. We attached a spigot to the drain hole in the cooler for drainage, used an antler shed for the handle, and added a bottle opener for decoration. It was so easy, and only $30 in supplies (since we had the cooler and fence wood on hand). You can check out the full step-by-step tutorial on my blog ( ) to see how to make your own! It's a great addition to our back porch, and was so easy to make.
Rustic "Cowboy Cooler" made from furring strips and reclaimed fencing
2x2 furring strip frame. A piece of threaded PVC extends the drain for the spigot.
Inside shot of the cooler.
Attaching the facing and the pre-drilled spigot piece.
Finished side.
  • BarinaCraft
    BarinaCraft Dublin, OH
    Agree with Marci N about adding some wheels for portability. Sort of a beer and wine cooler bar cart for entertaining outdoors. Great idea ☺
  • Torrie Presley
    Torrie Presley Florence, OR
    Love it
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    this also look like a great way to make a raised garden bed that one can reach standing up. I have 60' of old cedar fence boards to put to use. I'll have to send this to my hubby.
  • Candace Holt
    Candace Holt Leesville, LA
    You can also decorate them in sports , hunting , fishing etc. décor . This is a cooler my husband made for someone. He used old pallets but we have also used old fence boards or found wood .
  • Natalia
    Natalia Anton, TX
Brooke N

Search Feedback