DIY Cowboy Cooler

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I was in love with the look of a rustic cooler for our patio, but was turned off by the high prices. So my husband and I took an old cooler apart and built our own! The base is held by a 2x2 frame, covered in reclaimed fence posts found by the curb. We attached a spigot to the drain hole in the cooler for drainage, used an antler shed for the handle, and added a bottle opener for decoration. It was so easy, and only $30 in supplies (since we had the cooler and fence wood on hand). You can check out the full step-by-step tutorial on my blog ( ) to see how to make your own! It's a great addition to our back porch, and was so easy to make.
Rustic "Cowboy Cooler" made from furring strips and reclaimed fencing
2x2 furring strip frame. A piece of threaded PVC extends the drain for the spigot.
Inside shot of the cooler.
Attaching the facing and the pre-drilled spigot piece.
Finished side.
  • Sue G
    Sue G Chesapeake, VA
    Very Smart ; )
  • Brooke N
    Brooke N Lake Jackson, TX
    Also, if you don't have a cooler handy, you could use a giant rubbermaid tub. I saw some for sale at the county fair that used them, they just drilled holes in the bottom for the ice to drain out. Obviously it's just good for parties where you don't need
  • Mary S
    Mary S Seneca Falls, NY
    Love your creativity ! Use what you have on hand is my mantra.
  • Cherie L
    Cherie L Eastpointe, MI
    Gonna scavage for some stuff to make one!!!
  • The Space Between
    The Space Between Key West, FL
    THIS is such an awesome idea! I love that it's upcycled wood, and I love the way it turned out. Beautiful and functional. I'm pinning it to the hometalk DIY inspiration pinboard. :)
  • Vivian S
    Vivian S Harper Woods, MI
    very clever Brooke.
  • Penny W
    Penny W Cartersville, GA
    This is awesome! So glad the link to how-to is included in this post. Thanks!
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    I LOVE IT!!!
  • Debbie N
    Debbie N Louisville, KY
    Looks great! You should be very proud!
  • Culpepper Carpets and Interiors, Inc.
    This is very ingenious & well made. Clever & appealing,
  • Ellen H
    Ellen H Cullman, AL
    very "cool".
  • Serendipity R
    Serendipity R Downers Grove, IL
    That Rocks! I may have to make a "coffee table" version for my patio!
  • Wilma Teelee V
    Wilma Teelee V Grandfalls, TX
    I made and sold several of these a few years back. the western cast iron ornements are easily found in west texas at reasonable costs.
  • Lisa B
    Lisa B Ringgold, GA
    Love it!
  • Sara C
    Sara C Jacksonville, FL
Brooke N

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post