DIY Cowboy Cooler

diy 05.12.15
I was in love with the look of a rustic cooler for our patio, but was turned off by the high prices. So my husband and I took an old cooler apart and built our own! The base is held by a 2x2 frame, covered in reclaimed fence posts found by the curb. We attached a spigot to the drain hole in the cooler for drainage, used an antler shed for the handle, and added a bottle opener for decoration. It was so easy, and only $30 in supplies (since we had the cooler and fence wood on hand). You can check out the full step-by-step tutorial on my blog ( http://www.killerbdesigns.com/rustic-cooler-... ) to see how to make your own! It's a great addition to our back porch, and was so easy to make.

#Bestof2012

• TaniaC
    TaniaC Fairfield, IL
    Thanks KMS for the info, will do next time I see something that I don't think belongs on here...:)
  • Marci N
    Marci N Florence, OR
    Cool but it needs some wheels...
  • Linda A
    Linda A Navarre, FL
    Real good idea for the party people in our family!
  • Barbara
    Barbara Mc Kenzie, TN
    been wanting one but didnt want to spend the money that is smart ideal
  • Fastnacht Shavout
    Now that is about as cool as you can get!!
  • Hilda Storey
    Hilda Storey Camano Island, WA
    Great repurposing
  • Wayne Johnson
    Wayne Johnson Converse, TX
    Some places have old wood pallets for free, you can break one apart and use the wood to build one.
  • Vicki Sturgill
    Vicki Sturgill Grayson, KY
    Add a rustic star or horseshoe for a personal touch.
  • Barbara Ann
    Barbara Ann Claremont, CA
    OH This is great!! We have a Orchard Store by us. They have no tax days. My hubby saw a cooler just like this but it was more than I would let him spend since I buy my paint at the boo boo table. But he wanted it. Drat! They were out of stock. They gave
  • Denise S.
    Denise S. Temecula, CA
    This is so cool. You both are artistic and builder savvy. It is specially nice when the husband is with you on this stuff-or- vice-versa! You know you could sell these!
  • BarinaCraft
    BarinaCraft Dublin, OH
    Agree with Marci N about adding some wheels for portability. Sort of a beer and wine cooler bar cart for entertaining outdoors. Great idea ☺
  • Torrie Presley
    Torrie Presley Florence, OR
    Love it
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    this also look like a great way to make a raised garden bed that one can reach standing up. I have 60' of old cedar fence boards to put to use. I'll have to send this to my hubby.
  • Candace Holt
    Candace Holt Leesville, LA
    You can also decorate them in sports , hunting , fishing etc. décor . This is a cooler my husband made for someone. He used old pallets but we have also used old fence boards or found wood .
Brooke N