How to Locate Cables, Pipes and Studs behind a Wall

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Learn how to locate cables, pipes an studs behind walls before you start drilling with this handy diy security and safety guide.

Hope you all find this guide useful.

• Columbus, MS
    Hi Jeff. Glad you found the article interesting and helpful. Personally I would recommend anyone looking for a detector to go for a Multi-purpose one - they just save the need of having different ones in the toolbox. I won't specifically recommend any
  • Bob
    Bob Wichita, KS
    I just carry a couple of small magnets and find the fasteners that are in the studs
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    @ take on old plastic Bic razor and carefully remove the plastic protector edge below the blade, you then hold the razor by the end of the handle and drag the Bic over the wall. You can hear the definite sound difference when you pass
  • Columbus, MS
    Hi Bob - Never thought of that one and certainly a cheap alternative. Thanks for the tip.
  • Columbus, MS
    Hi Therese, well it just goes to prove you can learn something new everyday. That's pretty amazing. Next time I'm definitely going to give that one a try.

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post