Paving Project: I was thinking a beautiful project would be tearing out the old concrete patio in my backyard and

08.23.12
putting in a paver patio with steps and a small wall around it on one end. Would this be a do-able DIY or would it be easier to hire a company to do it?
  • Amazing Improvements and Garages
    Nicole, concrete in motion will always continue to telegraph upward and reappear at some point. If these are static, they can be filled with an epoxy and further stabilize their disjointed appearance.
  • Chaya K
    Chaya K New York, NY
    Hometalk published an article on exactly this subject: http://www.networx.com/article/how-to-remove-.... It describes how much work this job entails. Good luck!
  • Paul M
    Paul M Fairburn, GA
    I have no idea about the cost involved. But you can track down some contractors in your area and get a few bids both ways and then decide. If you get a bid for the whole project you don't have to give all of it to any contractor but that will give you an
  • Nicole L
    Nicole L Virginia Beach, VA
    Do you think this route could also be cheaper? I've seen some fabulous driveways done in this manner!
  • Paul M
    Paul M Fairburn, GA
    Yes but when they do terrazzo the use a fiberglass mesh and a special epoxy, I think it is epoxy, someone else here may know what it is for sure, to stabilize the underlying concrete and keep any cracks or movement from telegraphing up through the
  • Nicole L
    Nicole L Virginia Beach, VA
    Would I still be able to do an overlay if there are cracks in the concrete?
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    There has been some great suggestions so far, but depending on your ability to handle heavy stone and tools will determine if you really want to do this yourself. Its easy the first day or so. And may also be a bit fun as well. With playing with new cool
  • Nicole L
    Nicole L Virginia Beach, VA
    Actually, our market down here in Va Beach isn't all that bad. We are not upside down on our home so with any improvements that we plan on doing I prefer to not lose value. I don't think this project would cause that to happen though. Thanks for the
  • Paul M
    Paul M Fairburn, GA
    If your concrete shape is not objectionable and the elevations are ok with you, you could laminate stone to the surface of the concrete and not have to demo it at all. I have successfully done this in several locations. If you do have to demo and start
  • Nichter's Home Services Corp
    Return?

In this market?

• Clay B
    Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    Not much on return on investment. But will make your home more desirable when you do sell it. Put in planting beds/flowers also, make it a backyard getaway. If you can make a buyer say "wow" or "this is really nice", you've done it.
  • Nicole L
    Nicole L Virginia Beach, VA
    Wow you all are very helpful! I do want to make it bigger than what's existing. Another question, would I get a return on this if I sold in about 2 years?
  • Clay B
    Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    One more piece of advice, If the previous patio size worked for you, and you are just replaceing, fine; but if changing size, I always say, fiqure out the size you need, then double it; or at least put a lot of thought into it. By the time you figure in
  • Majestic Tile
    Majestic Tile Virginia Beach, VA
    I didn't means super easy....But another solution is to put Stone or Exterior Tile on the Slab.

It is easy as opposed to tearing out walls and relocating plumbing and other remodeling projects. Sweat is healthy and yes

• Clay B
    Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    I just had a paver patio installed 12' x 34'. I figured out the DIY price, and got a company quote. I found that 85% of the cost was going to be materials and equipment rentals. The compactor alone is $100 a day, and you will need to have it for each
Nicole L