Hometalk.com

09.12.12

How do I black wash paint ?

Pirate ship we built for our grand boys! I want this pirate ship/fort/swing set to look stressed and worn. For those that have see my earlier posting please forgive me for re posting. Having troubles loading my photo!
12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    This is so wonderful! What a loving thing to make for the boys, so many memories to be made!
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    This is fantastic. I am jealous of your grandkids.
  • WOW... now that is some playground! Totally amazing. Those lucky boys will never forget this playground. :)

Donna

• Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I do not know what kind of lumber you used, but unless you used the pressure treated kind, I would worry more about making sure this lasts than trying to get a particular look for it...??? This is too fantastic to allow the elements to damage it before
  • G B Ripley, TN
    Paint it, then sand off areas for a distressed look.
  • Robin A Jacksonville, FL
    Pressure Treated
  • The Space Between Key West, FL
    This is really, really cool! You could apply a stain or even water down some paint to create a glaze and give it an uneven finish that looks aged. Either way, I'm sure it will provide many hours of enjoyment. :)
  • Thistlewood Grand Rivers, KY
    I second the space between....and I think the weather will help a little bit with the distressing!
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Glad you got this up, Robin! Way cool. Welcome to Hometalk!
  • Serendipity R Clarendon Hills, IL
    Cabot makes a semi-transparent (and also semi-solid) stain in a color called black that is meant for outdoor use. I used their oil based semi-transparent stain on my cedar shake house ten years ago and it's held up wonderfully! The semi-transparent
  • You win grandmom of the year for this one!
  • Did you come up with the plans yourself or where would I be able to find plans for this. I have looked before, but was unable to find any. I would appreciate any information you could give me. Another grammie wanting to make this for her grandkids.
  • Likes

Christopher U Jan F Thistlewood Jerri T Joan L The Space Between Ladena S Jeanette S Bernice H