Hometalk.com

07.28.11

best way to remove mildew/mold from bathroom ceiling

15 Comments Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • Charlotte, I would first detect the cause of the mold on the ceiling, it may be 2 things

    1. A roof leak

  • To add to the mold concerns in bathrooms. Fans are great idea, or just open window when taking shower. brrrr in winter. Be sure if you add a bath vent that it vents outside of the house and not just into the attic or joist space. Also be sure to use
  • Tom S Chapel Hill, NC
    I had some success (e.i., It lasted 3 years before we moved) with a 3-step approach: 1)cleaning the bathroom ceiling with a bleach solution and then repainting with a mildew-resistant bathroom paint. Since mold actually eats into the paint and wall (and
  • Charlotte C Roanoke, VA
    thanks to everyone who replied! I dont have a bathroom window. I will have the exhaust fan checked. Hopefully it isnt an insulation issue(=MONEY) but i can get someone to check that as well.
  • Charlotte, I doubt if it is an insulation issue. Add the exhaust and check for roof leaks, Good Luck and I hope you get this fixed soon.
  • SawHorse.net Atlanta, GA
    Find the source of the mold first and stop the condition that is causing the mold.

    1. If it is around an HVAC vent, then it is coming from condensation around the metal boots in the attic. This happens

  • mix one part peroxide to a gallon of water and spray over area!!
  • Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    The exhaust fan needs to run for 15-30 minutes after you shower. Turning it off as you leave the room doesn't provide enough ventilation to rid the area of moisture. A great idea is to put the fan on a timer, so that it runs a while after your shower.
  • as bleach evaporates it quits killing mold/mildew, however , as peroxide evaperates it leaves a whitish / clear residue and continues to kill,,, then simply repaint priming with a kiltz brand ,, you can get it in an odorless and repaint in desired color!!!
  • High humidity in the room is the most likely culprit. Put the fan on a humistat type switch that keeps the fan on until the humidity is back to normal.
  • Cleaning chemicals such as bleach, peroxide and the like will clean off the surface issues. But will not prevent mold from returning. Nor will it remove any mold development within the surface of the wallboard.
  • Woodbrdg, You apparently have a lot of experience with this. What is the best product to use to wash down a mildewed surface inside a home if it is a recent thing?
  • Nichter's

    This would depend on the surface. But if the recently mildewed surface is hard, any good quality over the counter cleaner

  • I see OTC cleaners with sodium hypochlorite claiming to be able to treat/remove mildew. Then I read labels and see the active ingredient varying from .5% to nearly three percent. Should one assume that more is better?
  • Any of those concentrations will kill the mildew, the stronger ones start working on the stain. As long as the stain is not too dark, it will be alright to paint. Rinse the area well of any hypochlorite or bleach as these products will destroy the
  • Like

    Paul R
Feedback