Repurposed vintage screen door

Home ideas 11.19.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I took a screen door saved from my great grandfather's old house and reused it as a laundry/mud room door.

I pulled all the old nails out and took off the old screen, then sanded and painted the door grey -- Walmart Colorplace Grand Smoky Mountain. I then sanded lightly and rubbed on a walnut water-based stain to really make it look like the old wood. Dark wax would also work.

I then cut square chicken wire to cover the back instead of using screen. I stapled that on the back of the entire door.

I covered about 2/3 down with burlap, also stapled on, and left the bottom uncovered as the air intake for the heat pump is in that room, plus I didn't want it to be too monochromatic. I covered the staples on the back of the door with a 1" wide strip of thin trim wood, also stapled.

We hung the door with hinges where the old door was taken out, and I attached an old handle.

Time: 3 Hours Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more:

• Phyllis
    Phyllis Greenville, SC
    Exciting. ..
  • Sara Gauntt
    Sara Gauntt Bryant, AR
    I need help - quick. I have an old screen door, the kind they use to use at old small grocery stores. You know, they were heavy and had metal work about half way down. I love, love this door and wanted to replace the cabinet doors on my pantry and
    • Gail
      Gail Martin, TN
      A picture of your current cabinet with an open door would be helpful. Also, make sure that the photo shows the wall or cabinets on either side.
  • Cathy
    Cathy Glenolden, PA
    I really love what you did with the door.
  • Sondra Childs
    Sondra Childs Montrose, CO
    love this and am going to consider doing something like this in my home!!!
  • Gladys
    Gladys Lawrenceville, GA
    Your great grandfather is smiling!
Anita D

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post