Repurposed vintage screen door

04.18.15
I took a screen door saved from my great grandfather's old house and reused it as a laundry/mud room door.

I pulled all the old nails out and took off the old screen, then sanded and painted the door grey -- Walmart Colorplace Grand Smoky Mountain. I then sanded lightly and rubbed on a walnut water-based stain to really make it look like the old wood. Dark wax would also work.

I then cut square chicken wire to cover the back instead of using screen. I stapled that on the back of the entire door.

I covered about 2/3 down with burlap, also stapled on, and left the bottom uncovered as the air intake for the heat pump is in that room, plus I didn't want it to be too monochromatic. I covered the staples on the back of the door with a 1" wide strip of thin trim wood, also stapled.

We hung the door with hinges where the old door was taken out, and I attached an old handle.

Time: 3 Hours Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://anita-faraboverubies.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-screen-door.html

• Pat G
    Pat G Califon, NJ
    Awesome!
  • Janette
    Janette United Kingdom
    It's gorgeous, what a keeper..x
  • Jeulia H
    What a lovely family keepsake that is used on a daily basis and not just gathering dust. Excellent
  • Jennifer G
    Jennifer G Clifton, CO
    What a beautiful idea! Gave me the feels too :)
  • Anita D
    Anita D Balsam, NC
    Yes Leslie, and I appreciate that very much:-) Thank you!!
  • Kellie Sheckler
    Kellie Sheckler Springfield, MO
    Very nice!! Love that you kept it in the family! Love the color.
  • Patti
    Patti Fountain, CO
    Nice find & reuse
  • Kathie taylor
    Kathie taylor Largo, FL
    what a beautiful job! anxious to try your paint combo. thanks!
  • Ethel Edwards
    Ethel Edwards Tulia, TX
    What about growing them on pots? This is about the clematis.
  • Greedith B
    Greedith B Cub Run, KY
    Love Love Love it!!!!!
  • Jan Mardis
    Love what you did with the door. Did you use the same paint color for your molding and cabinets?
  • Joffler
    Joffler Houston, TX
    Great idea!
  • Shelli Burk Guthrie
    Shelli Burk Guthrie Bellaire, MI
    Beautiful
  • Phyllis
    Phyllis Greenville, SC
    Exciting. ..
  • Sara Gauntt
    Sara Gauntt Bryant, AR
    I need help - quick. I have an old screen door, the kind they use to use at old small grocery stores. You know, they were heavy and had metal work about half way down. I love, love this door and wanted to replace the cabinet doors on my pantry and
    • Gail
      Gail Martin, TN
      A picture of your current cabinet with an open door would be helpful. Also, make sure that the photo shows the wall or cabinets on either side.
Anita D