Wall of built Ins out of IKEA Hemnes cabinets

Woodwork 3 days ago
When renovating my basement I knew I wanted a wall of built ins. Keeping my budget in mind I created that feature using IKEA bookshelves from the Hemnes line. Visit www.no29design.com for more details, pictures and ideas!
Cost: $2000
Before any work was begun we finished our semi finished basement. Overhead lighting, storage closets and a laundry room were all added to the space. Since this would be the family room I wanted lots of storage as well as display space, and don’t forget the television!
Once the major construction was complete I had a 17 foot wall to create a storage and media unit. I measured about 20 times to make sure I had it right and then purchased 5 pieces from the IKEA Hemnes line.
I purchased units to hold books, games, movies and music. The display shelves hold baskets as well as accessories.
The bookshelves were spaced out to cover the entire 17 foot wall, then finished off with trim and soffits. The gaps between each unit aren’t noticeable with the trim and a fresh coat of white paint.
The space where the wall mounted tv was to be hung was finished with a board and batten pattern to match the rest of the room.
Shelf liner was added to the back of the bookshelves. This helps add some texture to a whole wall of white!
I now have a huge storage and display wall. It is the focal point of the entire room.

To see more: http://www.no29design.com/2012/10/basement-update-tour.html

on This Post

• Barbara
    Barbara Lomita, CA
    Absolutely fantastic, especially for the gained storage out of wall-to-wall . We have a very long wall in our living room and I had envisioned something like this on that one unbroken wall. We have floor to ceiling windows on the right 90 degree wall
  • Anna Picket
    Anna Picket Lehi, UT
    That's an interesting idea to use already made furniture and convert it into a built in entertainment center. It looks really good. I'm just worried that I'm not handy enough with tools to do this kind of thing myself. We will probably have to call a
    • Marina Abbott
      Anna Picket If you can follow instructions in a booklet, you can do this. Ikea furniture comes with all instructions to build it and you don't have to be a professional. Then
  • Michelle
    Michelle Woodbury Heights, NJ
    Looks amazing! Well designed, it's beautiful!!
  • Mary Jane McFarland Haidinger
    This is awesome! I would live in this room all the time! Great job!!!
  • Joni Kinsey
    Joni Kinsey Hoquiam, WA
    Beautiful transformation!!
No. 29 Design