Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 11 hours ago

Wall of built Ins out of IKEA Hemnes cabinets

When renovating my basement I knew I wanted a wall of built ins. Keeping my budget in mind I created that feature using IKEA bookshelves from the Hemnes line. Visit www.no29design.com for more details, pictures and ideas! #Bestof2012 #ProudestDIY #BudgetUpgrade
Before any work was begun we finished our semi finished basement. Overhead lighting, storage closets and a laundry room were all added to the space. Since this would be the family room I wanted lots of storage as well as display space, and don’t forget the television!
Once the major construction was complete I had a 17 foot wall to create a storage and media unit. I measured about 20 times to make sure I had it right and then purchased 5 pieces from the IKEA Hemnes line.
I purchased units to hold books, games, movies and music. The display shelves hold baskets as well as accessories.
The bookshelves were spaced out to cover the entire 17 foot wall, then finished off with trim and soffits. The gaps between each unit aren’t noticeable with the trim and a fresh coat of white paint.
The space where the wall mounted tv was to be hung was finished with a board and batten pattern to match the rest of the room.
Shelf liner was added to the back of the bookshelves. This helps add some texture to a whole wall of white!
I now have a huge storage and display wall. It is the focal point of the entire room.
Cost: $2000

To see more: http://www.no29design.com/2012/10/basement-update-tour.html

112 Comments Displaying 15 of 112 comments | See Previous
  • No. 29 Design Belmont, MA
    One more after shot for the ones that want the perfect angle...
  • Sbauer Walla Walla, WA
    WOW! I am impressed. I love how you turned those ugly metal posts into wood-covered posts. Very, very cool!
  • Kate N La Porte City, IA
    WOW,
  • super wow
  • Sue parrella El Cajon, CA
    love it
  • Amy Aguirre Quitman, TX
    Love this.
  • Linda Hupp Fishers, IN
    You are a lifesaver! I want to create a similar wall in my office and knew I wanted to use IKEA pieces, but warned badly for them to look built in. TA-DA! I love, love, LOVE IT. A $2000 miracle!
  • Chanda Wainscott Belton, MO
    You did such a great job on this ! Can us tell me what type of flooring you used ? You have inspired me for my basement project and we have a new IKEA coming to KC this fall ...yay!!
    • No. 29 Design Belmont, MA
      Chanda Wainscott The are Allure TrafficMaster. Best thing since sliced bread! I answered some more questions like yours in my comment up above. And congrats on the new IKEA!
  • Vikki Chesapeake, VA
    Looks like a pleasant place to spend some relaxation time! Heavenly!
  • This is pretty much amazing! Well done!
  • Karen Carlson Kedzuch Brookfield, IL
    Beautiful!
  • Lisa Portland, OR
    Very nice work. The only thing I would have put a bigger TV there with all that space.
  • I love IKEA!! Your room looks amazing, great job!
  • Susan Bellingham, WA
    Gorgeous room! Nice job!