Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Can I successfully paint cabinets made from pressed "wood" and covered in a contact paper like stuff?

07.14.12
I have no idea what one would call what these cabinets are made from! I only know they are ugly and I want to paint them!
7 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 7 of 7 comments
  • Carroll A
    Carroll A Coos Bay, OR
    I painted 2 press board night stands. Lightly sand don't go too deep, primer then 2 coats of paint. It has been about 3 years now and it is just starting to chip and look bad. Not sure about contact paper though.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Gail--My Repurposed Life
    pressed wood AND covered in contact paper? What's the worst that could happen? If they are smooth, I say primer, and paint. If they are not smooth (wrinkles, etc) Paint will NOT cover that up! sad, but true. Perhaps a faux finish of some sort if
  • Designs by BSB, helping you love where you live!
    if you are talking about kitchen cabinets, it is likely they are thermofoil. can you share a photo? age of cabinets? cannot say that Ive ever seen kitchen cabinets with a contact grade kind of covering - by comparison its easy to find with furniture.
  • Daniela N
    Daniela N Nashville, TN
    if the surface is slick make sure you use a oil base primer (it sticks like glue!) it smells and all, but it will last longer. you can use regular latex paint over oil base primer. there is such paint as cabinets' paint, I would suggest you go with
  • Bernice H
    Bernice H Yakima, WA
    I think with a good primer like Kilz, the contact paper would be ok. We primed over that vinyl wall paper in our MH kitchen, and 16 years later, it is still ok! I have also primed and painted over wall paper, so go for it!
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    The type of cabinet Toni is speaking about is a particle board with a wood grain imprint on a paper laminate that is often heat applied to the surface. Over time this paper begins to peel which exposes the particle board underneath.
  • Toni E
    Toni E Bethalto, IL
    Thanks Woodbridge! Spot on! I'm headin' to Lowe's!
Toni E