Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Decor Ideas 6 days ago

Mudroom Built Ins from Ikea Bookcases for $300

Detailed step-by-step instructions (and additional pictures) can be found on my blog here: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2012/04/adding-m...

Basically, I assembled 2 Billy Bookcases, 1 Billy Wall Shelf, 1 Smadal TV Console from IKEA and attached them to the wall up against a section of beadboard forming an inverted "U" shape. I also attached the bookshelves to the wall shelf for added stability. I left the TV stand free and just pushed it against the wall (as a bench and shoe storage) so that I could remove it to sweep under it. I did reinforce the TV stand with some metal L brackets to support the weight of my kids sitting (and standing and jumping) on it.

Where the shelves met the wall, I added quarter round trim and added corbels under the wall shelf for architectural interest. I also added crown molding along the tops of the shelves.

I had paint color matched and painted all the trim, beadboard and crown molding "Ikea White" (which is actually more of a cream

To see more: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2012/04/adding-mudroom-built-ins-to-garage.html

8 Comments Displaying 8 of 8 comments
  • Kyle G
    Kyle G Middletown, NJ
    This is great! Such a smart idea to use some pre-fab Ikea furniture to save time and money. I'd love to create something similar. Thanks for sharing!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • The Space Between
    The Space Between Key West, FL
    GREAT idea! It really is amazing what basic ikea pieces can become with a little ingenuity.
  • Kris S
    Kris S Minneapolis, MN
    OMG...great idea! I am definitely stealing and using in my house. Thanks for sharing!
  • Mandi J
    Mandi J Crestview, FL
    I love this!!! Great job!!
  • Sebastian A
    As a custom furniture builder I probably shouldn like ikea.... But I do like what you did in your mud room...don't tell anyone.b
  • Catherine S
    Catherine S Oakland, CA
    Love it!
  • Lyn D
    Lyn D Palm Coast, FL
    I will be needing that for my craft room, thank you ;)
  • Nancy De Blauw
    We'll done!
TheKimSixFix