Has anyone had their evaporator coil on the HVAC unit cleaned?

11.21.11
I am not talking about the outside condenser, but the coil, typically A shaped, on top of the furnace.

Here is my reason for the question - my HVAC unit is ~25 yrs old, the outside condenser is ~10yr old. I recently dropped the fan out of my HVAC unit and cleaned the 'air scoops', which were super nasty and FULL of dirt. With this said, I can only imagine that the air pushed up into the coil up to this point has been extremely dirty, clogging the coil / reducing the volume of air / reducing the efficiency.

Any thoughts?

• Harold M
    Harold M Franklin, NC
    Thanks for this reminder. I need to clean mine
  • Paul M
    Paul M Fairburn, GA
    Most use a soft copper line that is soldered to the evaporator coil and you can't move it very much without kinking or breaking that line. In other words you can't take it out.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Once again, it depends on how the line was run to the coil and the experience of the contractor doing the work I have on many occasions pulled coils out sufficiently enough to clean and re-install without damaging any lines or causing leaks. But you
  • Paul M
    Paul M Fairburn, GA
    We'll you'll just have to demonstrate this technique as I don't know anyone who has ever successfully pulled that off without opening the system and disconnecting the lines.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I believe it is well worth the cost to have a yearly service done by a professional. My job, which I do well, is to keep the filters clean.
Victor R