Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
01.02.14

OK, for all you home sale gurus out there.

I have a client in West Orange NJ. The home is about 90 years old. We did extensive cleaning and repairs last year about this time for them to put house on market. Spent about two months time re-piping the old galvanized and leaking pipes. Rewired lots of old knob and tube, redid a third floor bathroom with claw foot tub that had not been used for over 40 years etc.

The house is still on market. Pricing on the house is reasonable for the area, but they have had no offers in the past six months on it.

The primary feed back was the master bath, which is really a jack-n-Jill type of bath that adjoins the largest bedroom on 2nd floor. Its pink with white fixtures. And its turning off people.

The 2nd issue was the kitchen area. It has older dark wood cabinets but good quality ones, high end stove, dishwasher hood and fridge, but has old brick style white tile floors and counters are dated.

Client wants to do something in these areas to improve them.

They thought about tearing out bathroom and re-doing it. And they want to update kitchen such as floors etc.

41 Comments Displaying 15 of 41 comments | See Previous
  • Donna McCrummen
    Donna McCrummen Bernardsville, NJ
    As a realtor and DIY'er with some pretty decent update skills I wish I'd been a member back when I could have chimed in. How did it go?
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Did not know you sold houses Donna. The house has sold! About six weeks ago. We provided estimates to improve the kitchen and bath in which the seller credited the new buyer for the changes that we suggested and they closed.
  • Culpepper Carpets and Interiors, Inc.
    Yeah!!! I love a happy ending!
  • Donna McCrummen
    Donna McCrummen Bernardsville, NJ
    Awesome. Yes, I sell houses. Buy them too.
  • Terry Haas
    Terry Haas Charleston, SC
    Great news
  • Mary O'Brien Henderson
    For the kitchen, what about removing the counter tops, replacing them with colored concrete after putting down new tile on the floor? The cabinetry is nice, what about either painting them white or putting on a different finish after sanding them down. I
    Mary, thanks for the ideas. I had posted them on the site for the sellers of the house that I was working with to give them some ideas of what to do.
  • Mary O'Brien Henderson
    Wow! Too bad you aren't in our part of Texas...I have a kitchen/dining remodel but once I am done with college & save up some $$$, we will do it ourselves....Oh, I can not wait for that day!
    Well early January I will be a bit closer. Were planning a move to KY.
  • Mary O'Brien Henderson
    Interesting....I have a question. I am one of those that believes in recycling. I am wanting to find a house or building that is needing to torn down because I want to recycle the flooring for our dining room. The room when opened up by taking out the
    Yes on an occasion. Getting re-purposed materials can be a bit of a challenge however. What you would want to do is to find companies that do whole house renovations and or people who are going to have those types of renovations performed. Perhaps you
  • Mary O'Brien Henderson
    Thank you for the ideas! I greatly appreciate it! I have a contractor / friend I will call. Craigslist is a great source...
  • S137
    S137 Clarksburg, MD
    I love pink bathrooms. There is a movement to save them! Check out http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/ and see if you can find a way to
  • Bordeaux Construction Services
    Bordeaux Construction Ser... Virginia Beach, VA
    Regalze the tile bathroom choice of colors add 1 row of decorative mosaic tiles go to lowes or HD. IN the kitchen Add a tile backsplash and add lights under the cabinets hard wire in to the receptacles so you sont see wires hanging down. When the house
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    What a great solution. Owner did not want to do the changes needed so got a price from a great company! Love it!
Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
  • Likes

Karina Fernandez Brittany S Victoria sargent Maggie C Yaron Amy Penny