Container Water Gardens

crafts 10.29.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Container water gardens are a great way to get your feet wet with water features. They're small and pretty! Add a fountain or even a couple small fish like Rosy Reds. More water garden images at

• Directions for making this cute container water garden can be found at
  • A whimsical dripping pot adds fun to your garden. Add a glass globe for visual interest.
  • A simple fountain - but be forewarned - your dog will probably enjoy getting a drink here!
  • Got an old bathtub? Don't toss it ... stick it in the garden and fill it with aquatic plants and a fountain!
  • If you love waterlilies but don't have a pond, simply grow them in a water-tight container. Be sure they receive at least 6 hours of full sun.
  • Another whimsical fountain created with a teapot and cup.
  • Garden centers carry patio ponds made specifically for container water gardens.
  • You can always use a container you have on hand. This one was sealed to make it water tight. A few water lettuce plants float on top.
  • Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    used panty hose or knee high to cover the water pump to prevent clogs from anything.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Connie, I'd visit a local nursery that has a good selection of water plants. Two in the Atlanta area are Atlanta Water Gardens and Randy's Perennials and Water Gardens in Lawrenceville.
  • Marcia T
    Marcia T Newport News, VA
    Connie K, use the internet for research or any garden center would be glad to help you. And youtube.
  • Connie K
    Connie K Kennesaw, GA
    I love this idea. Where can I find a good source of information on plants that can be used and their climate requirements/limitations?
  • Aquascape Inc.
    Aquascape Inc. Saint Charles, IL
    Cynthia B, what size/type pump do you have? Some have a filter screen to avoid clogging.
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    These look so appealing and simple but add a lot to the garden. I've got too much on my plate for this year but next spring I would like to add one to my yard.
  • Cynthia B
    Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Seriously, I just got a book called "tabletop gardens", by Rosemary McCreary. It has a chapter on bog-type plants that can be indoors 24/7. I want to try one..... But really, about the tadpoles, if I change the water they just move back in.......
  • Cynthia B
    Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Ok, but I have FROGS (tadpoles) in my water feature,,,if I turn on the fountain, will the pump clog from their corpses?
  • Aquascape Inc.
    Aquascape Inc. Saint Charles, IL
    You can find the Mosquito Dunks at big box stores like Lowe's. Your local garden center might have them if they carry water gardening supplies, or you can find them online too - just Google "Mosquito Dunks." Rosy Reds are small fish that work great in
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Donna and Jennie: The discs are called mosquito dunks. They do the trick and are completely harmless to birds and other wildlife that may visit your water feature.
  • Sue S
    Sue S Gagetown, MI
    My sister even put goldfish in her rain barrels and in fall would give them to a friend with a big pond it allow them to grow to full size. But if they are small you can put them in a 30 gal aquarium, to watch them grow yourself from year to year. Really
  • Paula O'Keefe
    Paula O'Keefe Washington, DC
    I had a few goldfish in mine and they handled the mosquitoes very neatly.
  • Donna C
    Donna C Manchester, NH
    These are amazing. Really do want one. But was wondering also about mosquitos, so thank you Joanne for letting us know about the disks. What are they called and are they in gardening sections or repellent section of stores?
  • Karen M
    Karen M Chardon, OH
    I've wanted to try a water feature in the garden - this is very well timed - thank you
  • MaryAnn D
    MaryAnn D Ocala, FL
    Nice a easy
Aquascape Inc.

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post