Re-purposed Hutch Window Tranformed Into Halloween Sign

DIY Projects 11.03.15
I dissected an old vintage hutch and turned the bottom portion into a buffet. Rather then throw out the top part, I decided to re-use, up-cycle and turn it into an easy DIY project!
I started with this.
Time: 1.5 Hours Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy
Why do hutch doors make great signs? Because there's already hinges on them and it makes hanging them sooooo easy!
Step 1. Unscrew the screws that are attached to the hinge and the hutch. Leave the hinge attached to the door.
Step 2. Decide to paint the door frame or leave it in its natural wood state. I chose to paint of course! I used Chalk Paint(R) decorative paint by Annie Sloan in Graphite and protected it with Dark Wax.
3. Select a vinyl typography of your choice. Edit it in mirror image. Take the sticky back off the vinyl and place it on the glass. Get ready to use some muscle. You'll want to rub the top of your vinyl with some sort of scraping tool. I chose a really expensive Pampered Chef stone ware scraper. ;) Rubbing really hard will help it stick to the window and not to the top layer paper.
Once the vinyl was good and on, I painted a few light coats of Chalk Paint(R) decorative paint by Annie Sloan in Old White over the lettering. Once it was dry I carefully peeled the vinyl away and then dry brushed Graphite over the entire glass.
Then, walla! Ex- hutch door became a spooky vintage sign complete with original hinges in witch (lol) you can use S hooks to hang from your porch, front window or boutique shop!
To view additional projects you can follow us along at:
www.facebook.com/thirtyeighthstreet
www.instagram.com/thirtyeighthstreet

To see more: http://www.thirtyeighthstreet.blogspot.com/2013/12/repurposed-halloween-sign.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

Thirty Eighth Street