Hometalk.com

lighting 03.24.14

DIY Ballard Seagrass Shade

My son gave me a vintage lamp that reminded me of Ballard's Tasseau Lamp. I also really liked their seagrass lamp shade so I decided to make my own. I purchased a shade that I believe they refer to as a sloped or tampered drum. I already had a placemat made out of some type of rattan. After unraveling it, I hot glued it to my shade making sure that my rows stayed straight. After I finished the horizontal strips, I glued a vertical strip to cover the seams. I love how it turned out! For now, it's in the foyer but once my office is complete, it's new home will be on my desk! To see more, visit my blog at http://awalkinthecountryside.blogspot.com/20...
12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • Lisa Rall Anderson, SC
    Awesome! Expensive looking.
  • Becky Blair, NE
    I really like this make over.
  • Donna R Lumberton, TX
    I love these shades and love how you did this! I've saved it! Beautiful.
  • Thank you everyone!
  • Ruth P Washington, DC
    Wow, I love it. It looks so classy and professionally done. Great job!
  • MKay Westfield, NY
    This is so pretty. Very "high-end" look!
  • Tami @ Curb Alert! Houston, TX
    OMG LOVE!
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I never would have thought to unravel a placemat. For a country look one could unravel a braided placemat, hummm now I'm thinking I like that idea for either my side of the bed or the craft room lol.
  • Super clever idea. Great look in the end.
  • DL S Celeste, TX
    Nice job; love the look
  • Nancy Gramm Kingsland, TX
    Very nice!
  • Trish Breezy Point, NY
    I did this to a lamp and love it!