Chalk Paint French China Hutch

chalk paint 08.17.15
I love to refinish furniture! I have a bunch in the garage and I have to STOP myself from getting more! I hate to see a sad piece of furniture that could have new life with just a little work.

I need a 12 step program......

• This is a china hutch I refinished using ASCP in Paris Gray and Old White.
  • Closeup of the door on the hutch. I used AS Dark Wax to antique it.
  • The top of the hutch,
  • I also did a pair of farmhouse chairs to match. The little back covers are 100% linen with a hand stamped design.
  • Elaine
    Elaine El Cajon, CA
    Very pretty! No 12 step program needed, just more furniture! right now I have a tablecloth over our kitchen table....I should do this to it!
  • Susan
    Susan Knoxville, TN
    This is very lovely! I have a dining room table I need to do.. Some guest ruined my table by sitting wet bottomed glasses on my table. I can't get the spots off,so I thought I would do something. I'm scared to start. Any suggestions?
    • Esther McRae
      Esther McRae Seattle, WA
      Susan Ashes work well to get water spots off. Takes some work, but I hate to see beautiful wood painted. You can also use teak oil & fine steel wool & refinish the whole table. It
  • Anne Marston
    Anne Marston Chesterfield, VA
    Anne Marston, Chesterfield, Va.

I've been wanting to try out chalk paint and your beautiful post has inspired my to jump in! Thank you very

• Jo Tieslau
    Jo Tieslau Pittsburg, CA
    Thank you so much for the information. I can't wait to get started. Like you I hate to waste a good piece of furniture. Love the look of a few painted pieces in the home. I will try and keep you posted>
  • Lorraine F
    Lorraine F Virginia Beach, VA
    Hi Jo, actually, much of the info out there says you don't even need to sand, just clean it well. I sell furniture so I really want my finish to hold up for my customers. So, I always sand some. I definitely take the shine off the whole piece using an
  • Jo Tieslau
    Jo Tieslau Pittsburg, CA
    I am going to attempt an older "maple" secretary and love the look of this. Any pointers on the foundation work. Sand or strip, I have been told that I only need to clean it and give a good sand first.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    thank you Lorraine. I have a few pieces that I want to use it on and I learned something today :) thank you again!
  • Lorraine F
    Lorraine F Virginia Beach, VA
    I've used crackle on several things just lately. It can be used over latex, chalk or milk paint. Crackle medium can be found in craft stores. Don't be dismayed by the small bottles, you don't need a lot and (normally) you wouldn't cover an entire piece
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    how about the crackle paint? I haven't seen that used alot lately. I would love to use it but I don't know what to buy or how to apply. Anybody have any experience with it?
  • Lorraine F
    Lorraine F Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks so much!
  • Renee
    Renee Lufkin, TX
    This is really beautiful!
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Wow! This is interesting! I am not into furniture simply because I do not have a space and no longer the energy, but who knows when something is going to come my way. HA!
  • Lorraine F
    Lorraine F Virginia Beach, VA
    ASCP is very easy to use and it sands back very well. I tend to buy the lighter colors because I sell most of what I finish and try to keep more neutrals out there. But the deeper colors are gorgeous too. I don't have a retailer near me so everything has
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Lorraine and all the Annie Sloane Chalk Painting Folks....is that paint really that easy to use? Have any of you used any of the darker colors? I was thinking about a maroonish red! I did look up the colors and like them. AND -- does it really stick
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I want this! Of course you did a great job on this, but this is one of the most striking pieces of furniture I have seen! I love this style! Of course loving the later Victorian pieces (the ones when they started using less carvings and cleaner
Lorraine F