Hometalk.com

08.17.11

Is there a standard height for a half wall?

We would like to make the wall b/w our kitchen and den (not load bearing) a half wall. Would open up the door way to make it wider and then a half wall. I've taped off what I think looks "right' to my eye, but was wondering if there is a standard height? Thanks so much!!
7 Comments Displaying 7 of 7 comments
  • i would say about 36" seems appropriate to me, this is the height of the Kitchen counter. Try a string at this level and see how it feels.
  • Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    How about kitchen counter height plus 6 inches. You would put a counter on top, and place stools on the den side, facing into the kitchen.
  • I do these fairly often at 42"
  • Imagery Littleton, CO
    30" is desk height, wall is 28 1/2" + 1 1/2" cap or counter

36" is counter height, wall is 34 1/2" + 1 1/2" cap or counter

• Lisa G Richmond, VA
    Great! Thanks for the help! We do have to re-route some electrical (light switch) but no plumbing. I'm still trying to decide on counter or bar. I like a bar, but this would be right next to our kitchen table so it might be overkill to have both? The
  • Lisa, you are welcome, is there a picture you can upload? I am curious to see the kitchen!
  • Lisa G Richmond, VA
    I am not at home right now, but I will add a picture when I get back!