Hometalk.com

03.17.14

Custom Mosaic on Hardi Backer Board

I just accepted a commission for a stained glass mosaic that will hang on the outside of a house. I have done many outdoor mosaics on wood in protected areas but this will be fully expose to the elements so I plan on using Hardi Backer board as my substrate but don't know how to #1 cut it or #2 when it is finished how to hang it.

Client is waffling on permanent installation or removable in case of hurricane/ nor'easter, I cannot begin mosaic really without knowing.. I also will need to make it more rigid, can't have flex on a mosaic :) can I use construction adhesive to sandwich two pieces together ? Thanks.

14 Comments Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • Originals by Rhonda Walnut Cove, NC
    Kathleen I luv your Iguana! BEAUTIFUL! :)
  • Originals by Rhonda Walnut Cove, NC
    Kathleen I didn't read before I posted earlier. For Exterior if you want to hang it, I would suggest exterior grade plywood and then use construction adhesive to attach 1/4" Hardi board to the surface and maybe a few short nails. I would then skim a
  • Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    @ Originals by Rhonda~ Thanks for the nice comment on my mosaic :) I appreciate your help suggestions too, I decided on Wedi board, had to order it and actually started it today! Love your planters in your profile pic!
  • Originals by Rhonda Walnut Cove, NC
    OMG! I about suggest WEDI, but Most people don't know what the heck it is! lol! GOOD STUFF! I use it on shower walls and tub surrounds a lot. NO ONE sells it in my area anymore tho :( You still may want to back it with a bit of plywood so you can attach
  • Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    Rhonda, I ordered two 12x12 panels and two 12x18 panels from a mosaic supply to try out the Wedi. I know that there is a place in Texas that sells it but I have nothing ( Jersey Shore ) around me that has it... big box guys looked at me like I was
  • Originals by Rhonda Walnut Cove, NC
    Kathleen I would be afraid to ask what you had to pay for pre-cut Wedi! I know the last time I got some in Greensboro, NC the 3'x5' sheets were $38 in comparison with standard cement board at $10 a sheet.
  • Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    The house number sign is done, delivered and hung. Client was happy, she ordered another for her parents :) Love using the Wedi Board!
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    I love mosaics and you did a wonderful job on this. I'm glad the client was happy and ordered another one from you! I was curious as to what Wedi (pronounced weedy) board was and found this site. http://www.marylandmosaics.com/wedi-panelsbr...
  • Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    Marg, thanks! yes, the Wedi is expensive but so worth it's weight in coin ( lol ) Mosaics can get very heavy it's nice to have a substrate that is durable AND lightwieght! I will post a pic when I get going on the next commission. Right now I am getting
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    good luck at your show. These pieces are really nice! I think the necklaces will also be a big hit. how big are they?
  • Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    @ Marg C , Thank you for the compliment and for the good wishes for my show. I did okay considering most people were preparing for Sandy to come . Still trying to get back on our feet :), we'll get there... The necklaces are about 1"x2"
  • Christina Dubois Vashon, WA
    I love your work! How did you end up attaching the address plaque to the siding? I'm planning a similar piece on wedi board and am not sure how I can attach hanging hardware to it. I'm thinking of using z-bar hanging hardware. Do you think I could attach
  • Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    Thank You Christina Dubois ! I used the hanging system I purchased at the same time (has two) and we put screws thru siding ( caulking around ) and it hangs on there.... Made it through
  • Tiffany Burbank, CA
    Generally, when not using wedi board, what kind of wood do you use for your mosaics?
  • Likes

Brenda Inman Marg C Originals by Rhonda Trisha Medlin Екатерина Муравьева DONNA