Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Awesome Remodels 02.15.14

The Chicken Coop - Made From Shipping Crates

Our Chicken Coop - built from shipping crates and reclaimed lumber. Home to our nine proud hens :) www.oldworldgardenfarms.com

We don’t live on ‘The Farm’ just yet. We actually live in a typical residential neighborhood with neighbors within a throwing distance from us. We have frequent walkers that pass by the house and always give a friendly wave hello. So when we decided to build what we now call “The Coop” - we did so in our driveway where we had the modern convenience of electricity. We wanted to reuse some materials that we had obtained in years past, so we decided to build the chicken coop primarily out of old shipping crates. After week one, we not only had a frame to our structure, but a pretty significant start to the future home of the chickens. Spring was in full force at this time, and after the harsh winter we had, several individuals had decided to take up walking as a form of exercise. Each day we would hear general comments from the neighborhood such as, ”looking good”, and “keep up the good work”. It wasn’t until the actual outside structure was built that we started getting more curious looks and the occasional question, “Ok, you have to settle a bet, are you building a

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/news-from-the-coop/

16 Comments Displaying 15 of 16 comments | See Previous
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Becky - They certainly seem to enjoy it - and I don't think I could ever have "store" bought eggs again...they are so much better!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Angela L
    Angela L Harlem, GA
    Very nice! The kids seem to enjoy watching the "girls" as well! Love the sign as well!
  • Lori J
    Lori J Broken Bow, NE
    You are the neighborhood memory builder. My dear grandparents left their small town and moved to the city, so enthralled were they with being my grandparents. Oh, the joys of being the first grandchild. But I have isolated memories of their house and one
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I have heard that about eggs Mary (or Jim). I'm sure I've had farm fresh eggs since my Dad's family mostly lived on farms. I loved visiting them and eating those wonderful family meals three times a day. Not that my Mom wasn't an awesome cook or that we
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Angela - The kids loved it - those are a friends three children over when we had a barn party -and they were in love with the chickens!
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Lori J - Isn't it funny how those memories stay crystal clear...my Aunt and Uncle had chickens and I can remember going there and seeing all of the eggs and hens.
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Becky - There is such a difference and I can honestly say I never knew that much about chickens before we started. Mostly just that when you crack one to make eggs they are so much thicker and I have yet to break a yolk on a farm egg! - Jim
  • Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    U lucky. Unfortunately, my next door neighbor reported to code of enforcement and the agency from code of enforcement explained nice to me that I can not have any farm animals as pets less than 2 acres. Boo hoo. Naturally, I gave one chicken and one
  • Old World Garden Farms
    That's so sad Vicki! I know around here there are actually a lot of communities that are starting to allow for at least two to four chickens in a backyard - which is great. Hopefully someday maybe yours will too.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Jim, there are so many foods that are better farm fresh. What "they" do to food now is a down right shameful.

A few years back we started eating organic when we can get it. The first time I took a bite of an organic potato I literally

• Old World Garden Farms
    You are so right - Nothing beats the freshness of your own food grown in the garden!
  • Kathleen Bell
    Kathleen Bell Versailles, KY
    What a lovely coop. I grew up with chickens and would love to have them again. Husband was not thrilled when I said "Hey let's build a coop and get some chickens." :(
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Kathleen : Thank you for the compliment. They really are so very easy to take care of...and honestly - with just hens - they make no noise at all. I'm sure you will talk him into it - especially if he ever tastes how great the eggs are!
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    I am so jealous. I want two hens. But like Vicki, my neighbors would turn me in. It is a wonderful hen house. Oh I must go look and read the full details now.
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Sheryll - They are really easy to keep - and if you have a few - you really do not need a lot of space - just a good coop. There are several designs that have the coop on top and a space for the chickens to run around underneath on the side. We built
Old World Garden Farms

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!