The Chicken Coop - Made From Shipping Crates

Chickens 06.24.15
Our Chicken Coop - built from shipping crates and reclaimed lumber. Home to our nine proud hens :) www.oldworldgardenfarms.com

We don’t live on ‘The Farm’ just yet. We actually live in a typical residential neighborhood with neighbors within a throwing distance from us. We have frequent walkers that pass by the house and always give a friendly wave hello. So when we decided to build what we now call “The Coop” - we did so in our driveway where we had the modern convenience of electricity. We wanted to reuse some materials that we had obtained in years past, so we decided to build the chicken coop primarily out of old shipping crates. After week one, we not only had a frame to our structure, but a pretty significant start to the future home of the chickens. Spring was in full force at this time, and after the harsh winter we had, several individuals had decided to take up walking as a form of exercise. Each day we would hear general comments from the neighborhood such as, ”looking good”, and “keep up the good work”. It wasn’t until the actual outside structure was built that we started getting more curious looks and the occasional question, “Ok, you have to settle a bet, are you building a

• "The Coop" as it stood after taking it our to the farm. Originally - we painted the shipping crate wood white - we later painted it brown to match the barn
  • Usually the first place visitor now go is to visit the "girls" at the Chicken Coop
  • Inside the coop - three little nesting boxes made from scrap plywood - The girls don't seem to mind the recycled materials :)
  • The Coop - after painting to match the barn.
  • We used some of the left over flooring to make a 9' farm fresh egg sign for the barn - we cut the letters from the 3/4" oak. We figured seeing the sign from time to time would help the chickens know whey they were there.
  • From time to time - they will fly up on the attached run to get a better view of the farm.

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/news-from-the-coop/

• Kathleen Bell
    Kathleen Bell Versailles, KY
    What a lovely coop. I grew up with chickens and would love to have them again. Husband was not thrilled when I said "Hey let's build a coop and get some chickens." :(
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Kathleen : Thank you for the compliment. They really are so very easy to take care of...and honestly - with just hens - they make no noise at all. I'm sure you will talk him into it - especially if he ever tastes how great the eggs are!
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    I am so jealous. I want two hens. But like Vicki, my neighbors would turn me in. It is a wonderful hen house. Oh I must go look and read the full details now.
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Sheryll - They are really easy to keep - and if you have a few - you really do not need a lot of space - just a good coop. There are several designs that have the coop on top and a space for the chickens to run around underneath on the side. We built
  • Fresh Eggs Daily
    Fresh Eggs Daily Suffolk, VA
    It's really beautiful! Sharing on my Facebook page.
Old World Garden Farms