what's wrong with my tree?

09.07.12
My tree is 2 yrs. old and self-planted. I have been watering it off and on this summer and I just realized it looks like it has a fungus or something. The leaves are turning yellow with brown spots and then they are curling up and turnng completely brown. The whole tree is affected ecept for leaves near the end of each branch. Can it be saved?
  • TJB-INC Landscape Contractor
    Anthracnose fungi need wet conditions to infect and spread. Foliar symptoms include small round to irregular tan to dark brown or black spots. Symptoms vary with the host plant. The images show anthracnose on sycamore and silver maple. Spots can
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    that is more information than I got from th Co-op, thank-you. I was advised to be sure and get all the dry, fallen leaves picked up and thrown away, not composted. So I guess I need to buy a fungicide and apply every year in the spring? I was also
  • TJB-INC Landscape Contractor
    I found this info for you. Note: All of the chemical controls should be done by a licensed arborist in your area. If you are reading this and are located in New Haven County, CT, TJB-INC has a state licensed Arborist (S-1710) on staff. My name is Ted
  • TJB-INC Landscape Contractor
    Walter is correct in his response. Since the tree is small enough to be easily removed, do that and replant with another type of tree. Remember that Anthracnose is caused by environmental conditions, by not changing these conditions, you may have a
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Wow! Thank-you so much for taking the time to send all this info my way. I am taking all your expertise to heart, but also have someone coming out next week from the tree co. we use. I will make a decision based on his input as well.
Dee W

Search Feedback