Repurpose a Vintage Tool Box into a Planter

Planters 09.10.15
I have a really great Mother In Law and she gifted me a cool, old wooden tool box. I promptly turned it into a flower planter that happily resides on our sun deck! I just love it :) It's a super easy project. My favorite kind! (bonus, the deer can't reach it)
  • Loving the pretty face of these Dahlias :)
  • Me new baby!! Love flowers :)
  • My before shot.
  • It's a little beat up but it just adds to the charm!
  • Busy pilling it up with flowers.
  • Yum. I love our Summers. Short, so even sweeter!!
  • My after shots are not the best in the bright light... and it's really heavy now so hard to move to a better location. lol

To see more:

• Kathy Radigan
    Kathy Radigan East Northport, NY
    Love it! What a great idea.
  • Diy Design Fanatic
    diy Design Fanatic Charlotte, NC
    Very pretty Shannon!
  • Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage
    Oh how fun Roanna. What a great find!!!!
  • Roanna K
    Roanna K Sacramento, CA
    I am moving and I found my grandfather's tool box. He died in 1952 so it is quite aged and looks pretty good! I am thinking about using his tool box, full of some really old tools, and doing some planting myself.
  • Trish & Bonnie {Uncommon Designs}
    Love it Shannon!! just stunning!!
  • Eclectically Vintage - Kelly
    I love all toolboxes - wood, metal, big, small - I don't discriminate! Love your flower filled one!
  • Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage
    I have seen metal ones too! Totally cute also :)
  • Melissa-TheHappierHomemaker
    I just love this!!
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    @Nicolette T, same principle, holes, dirt, plants. Seal the outside if you love the colors or paint it first. Give the inside a coat or 2 of epoxy paint to keep the whole thing from rusting to pieces. 1 can of rustolium should do it inside and out.
  • Nicolette T
    Nicolette T Carbondale, CO
    Love it! Too bad my old tool box is beat up metal.
  • The Micro Gardener - Anne
    Love this concept. Have made a few box planters from rescued timber boxes at farm sales. I used a clear lacquer to preserve the natural timber, drilled holes in the two short ends and threaded rope 'handles' through. I've also used them to house pine
  • Donna R
    Donna R Lumberton, TX
    I'm glad you didn't paint it because it looks perfect like it is and so natural with the flowers.
Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage

Search Feedback