Hometalk.com

348 Comments Displaying 17 of 348 comments | See Previous
  • Thelma
    Thelma Benton, MO
    if the kool aid doesn't work a pumie stick will. You can find them at Walmart in the cleaning section.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Maria
    Maria Des Moines, IA
    WARNING: look away now if easily disgusted! We moved into a 1950s house with some distinctive charms (ahem). I had no idea what to do about the basement toilet until I read this suggestion. I wanted to stay away from nasty chemicals--and pumice stones,
  • Jennifer Weakley
    Jennifer Weakley Clarksville, TN
    You can actually buy citric acid powder which works also. I find it at my local bulk foods store. There is also a product called Lemishine at some grocery stores in the dishwasher soap section that is primarily citric acid that works.
  • Barbara Ahern
    Barbara Ahern Milano, TX
    I agree with Thelma.......I can't live without the Pumie stick, I keep one in every bathroom for cleaning the toilet. Most people don't know what you are talking about when you ask for one but Walmart does carry and you will not regret ever getting one.
  • April Lippert
    April Lippert Jackson, NJ
    Wouldn't a pumice stick scratch the porcelain? I am going to try both the Kool Aid and the Denture cleaners! Since we have a septic system, I do not like using a lot of harsh chemicals like bleach, etc. Thanks!
    • Linda Purdin
      Linda Purdin Cottonwood, AZ
      April Lippert I've used a pumice stick/stone for over 20yrs and the only thing is, you need to be sure and keep it good and wet, also I wear disposable gloves. Only way I've ever seen it scratch was when I scrubbed really hard without being good and wet :)
    • April Lippert
      April Lippert Jackson, NJ
      Linda Purdin thank you Linda!! :)
  • Matthew Gingerella
    Matthew Gingerella Riverside, CA
    Dear Barbara Ahern and April Lippert - I used to be a Pumice Stone Addict, but luckily those days are over. Now you can
  • Prsimon
    Prsimon Solvang, CA
    a warning about pumice stones from my plumber: they create microscopic abrasions in the ceramic of the bowl which allows places for bacteria and further mineral deposits to grow. It is not a recommended method of cleaning toilets or sinks.
  • Mr. Speedy Plumbing & Rooter Inc.
    Great Tips
  • Melissa
    Melissa Granbury, TX
    THE WORKS liquid toilet bowl cleaner. squirt it under the rim,shut the lid and let sit for an hour or so lift the lid then flush the toilet. thats all you have to do, no scrubbing and the stain and calcium deposits will all be gone!
  • Dorleen
    Dorleen Largo, FL
    All these great idea's, makes me just want to run in and start on the toilet. LOL. Two young boys have made a toilet a lot nastier than the ones shown here. But at this point I am willing to try anything. Except the pumice stone, thanks Prsimon.
  • Linda T
    Linda T Stewartstown, PA
    I think one of the points on this subject that has not been broached is........... What kind of water???? We have a well, not mains water and I have tried everything up to the strongest stuff in the box stores. Anyone have a similar situation and/or a cure?
    • Cher
      Linda T We are on a well system too and septic, so I was told never to use bleach(whoops). Not only do we have disgusting toilets but our shower gets this funcky orange residue. But when we
    • Linda T
      Linda T Stewartstown, PA
      Cher Thanks. I decided to mix chemicals, even though 'they' say one shouldn't. I first pushed out all the water I could, then poured 'Zep'. Left it about an hour, then went back, and. holding my
AnyoneCanDecorate

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!