Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Setting the Garden with Plate Flowers

When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive.

I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together. I love that every flower will be one of a kind, and the possibilities are really endless.

To see more: http://www.thriftyrebel.com/2012/08/setting-garden-with-plate-flowers.html

48 Comments Displaying 15 of 48 comments | See Previous
  • Doni
    Doni Crescent, IA
    Another great way to secure a pipe to the back is : go to the plumbing section at hardware store. Ask for a copper "bell hanger". They are made to hang conduit. Called bell hanger because they are shaped like a bell.The 1/2 inch ones cost about $1.00.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Marayne
    Marayne Kieler, WI
    I glue pvc T fittings which cost about 1.12 each and found at any hardware store to the backs of the plates. The stakes I find at Menards and they are porch spindles (found in 3 different colors = grey, green, white) and cost about 2.99 each. I had
  • Diane Schroedel
    Just a thought I had while reading everyone's comments.....for those that may not have an area where they can stick these into the ground, I thought of another idea. These would look very nice hanging from the ceiling or railings of a porch or hanging
    • Bernice H
      Bernice H Yakima, WA
      Diane Schroedel This is a really good idea..my "flowers" get so water spotted from sprinkler..not as pretty as they used to be.
  • VickMarie
    VickMarie Lees Summit, MO
    Hanging on railings would be perfect for my little wrought iron (aluminum) entry to the front porch...put up so dog could watch me in the yard and now is wisteria and perennial support!
  • Sharron Pittenger
    Sharron Pittenger Huntington, AR
    Like, very pretty.
  • Cheri Fettes
    Cheri Fettes Empire, MI
    LOVE This! Thanks for sharing. I've got a beautiful plate from a yard sale that is too pretty to use for this project,, but, it doesn't look half as nice just sitting on the organ in the LR. Can't even see it properly. I've just started gardening again,
    • Tuula @ The Thrifty Rebel
      Cheri Fettes Hi Cheri: I know not everyone wants to put plates in the garden, but to me my gardens are just an extension of the house. But I have to say I wouldn't use plates that were
  • Cheri Fettes
    Cheri Fettes Empire, MI
    I should check out the plate, for value. For me the only real value is it's beauty. but I can't even see that where it sits. This whole idea has been growing in my head, with lots of bits and pieces of glass that I have, some deserve to be repurposed.
  • BarbM
    BarbM Marengo, IL
    I have made a couple of these but do not know how to attach the post to the plate. I do not know what to use for the post and the attachment from the plate to the post. Any ideas? I see what she has used. I read back on the comments and see a couple of
    • Bernice H
      Bernice H Yakima, WA
      BarbM haha..I was going to suggest you read the previous comments! ♥ I use pvc pipe for the stands, then there are pvc elbows ; right angled connection things, that I glue (clear silicone
  • BarbM
    BarbM Marengo, IL
    @Bernice H thanks a bunch for the help. I have had my flower plates made for almost two years and did not know what to use. This will help a bunch!
Tuula @ The Thrifty Rebel

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!