Setting the Garden with Plate Flowers

When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive.
I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together. I love that every flower will be one of a kind, and the possibilities are really endless.
Here are my finished plate flowers, staked in the ground about 8-12" for stability..
The middle plate flower is made with a silver plate shallow bowl, a silver plate candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.
This one was made with a silver edged plate, a small white scalloped dish, a yellow tea light holder, and a rhinestone brooch.
And the third one was made with three glass pieces, a large 9" plate, a lovely candy dish, and a small diffuser bottle.
The pieces were glued together using Marine Goop adhesive, and left to cure for 24 hours. Once cured I glued pieces of an old deck swing to their backs for stems.
Once the stems were cured I just put them in the garden. The thing I enjoy most is that there's no watering required.

To see more: http://www.thriftyrebel.com/2012/08/setting-garden-with-plate-flowers.html

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage

Search Feedback