Setting the Garden with Plate Flowers

garden 5 days ago
When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive.
I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together. I love that every flower will be one of a kind, and the possibilities are really endless.
Here are my finished plate flowers, staked in the ground about 8-12" for stability..
The middle plate flower is made with a silver plate shallow bowl, a silver plate candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.
This one was made with a silver edged plate, a small white scalloped dish, a yellow tea light holder, and a rhinestone brooch.
And the third one was made with three glass pieces, a large 9" plate, a lovely candy dish, and a small diffuser bottle.
The pieces were glued together using Marine Goop adhesive, and left to cure for 24 hours. Once cured I glued pieces of an old deck swing to their backs for stems.
Once the stems were cured I just put them in the garden. The thing I enjoy most is that there's no watering required.

To see more: http://www.thriftyrebel.com/2012/08/setting-garden-with-plate-flowers.html

• Marayne
    Marayne Kieler, WI
    I glue pvc T fittings which cost about 1.12 each and found at any hardware store to the backs of the plates. The stakes I find at Menards and they are porch spindles (found in 3 different colors = grey, green, white) and cost about 2.99 each. I had
  • Diane Schroedel
    Just a thought I had while reading everyone's comments.....for those that may not have an area where they can stick these into the ground, I thought of another idea. These would look very nice hanging from the ceiling or railings of a porch or hanging
    • Bernice H
      Bernice H New York, NY
      Thank you,Chris I never did use poly , I can see this could work. tThanks again.
  • VickMarie
    VickMarie Lees Summit, MO
    Hanging on railings would be perfect for my little wrought iron (aluminum) entry to the front porch...put up so dog could watch me in the yard and now is wisteria and perennial support!
  • Sharron Pittenger
    Sharron Pittenger Huntington, AR
    Like, very pretty.
  • Cheri Fettes
    Cheri Fettes Empire, MI
    LOVE This! Thanks for sharing. I've got a beautiful plate from a yard sale that is too pretty to use for this project,, but, it doesn't look half as nice just sitting on the organ in the LR. Can't even see it properly. I've just started gardening again,
    • Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel
      Cheri Fettes Hi Cheri: I know not everyone wants to put plates in the garden, but to me my gardens are just an extension of the house. But I have to say I wouldn't use plates
  • Cheri Fettes
    Cheri Fettes Empire, MI
    I should check out the plate, for value. For me the only real value is it's beauty. but I can't even see that where it sits. This whole idea has been growing in my head, with lots of bits and pieces of glass that I have, some deserve to be repurposed.
  • BarbM
    BarbM Marengo, IL
    I have made a couple of these but do not know how to attach the post to the plate. I do not know what to use for the post and the attachment from the plate to the post. Any ideas? I see what she has used. I read back on the comments and see a couple of
    • Kathy
      Kathy West Chester, OH
      Hi Barb. I have several of these plate flowers in my garden. I use 4ft. Pieces of rebar painted green. I use marine glue to glue bottles that have a flat side too the back of the plate. Mine have been outside 3 years now in Ohio.
  • BarbM
    BarbM Marengo, IL
    @Bernice H thanks a bunch for the help. I have had my flower plates made for almost two years and did not know what to use. This will help a bunch!
  • Cindy Milliman
    Cindy Milliman Lockport, NY
    Been there done that. I use E6000 glue( Walmart craft section), steel rods(cheap at Home Depot) spray painted with a hockey puck glued to the back, using the wide drill bit to make a hole to insert the rod. I love the creativity it gives me, it's
  • Rosemarie Bumbardatore
    Rosemarie Bumbardatore Schenectady, NY
    I would definitely check out the value of the plates before using them. That blue ruffed candy dish looks like it could be Fenton Hobnail.
    • Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel
      Rosemarie Bumbardatore I couldn't agree more Rosemarie. I also make birdfeeders and wind chimes from repurposed items and I always do research to make sure I'm not
  • Tamara
    Tamara Northbrook, IL
    Totally cool. Not for my home, but really fabulous.
  • Rochelle McGee
    Rochelle McGee Albuquerque, NM
    If you don't have a garden or don't wish to decorate it...you could attach a hanger in the back and hang it for wall display in the house on a wall. Pretty way to use those odds and ends of dishes in the cabinet.
  • BarbM
    BarbM Marengo, IL
    I bought those green garden stakes and attached it with a electrical clap with a screw and bolt that goes through it to tighten it and my flower plate has been up for over a year now! No glue or tape and it survived our Chicago winter!!
    • Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel
      BarbM That's fabulous Barb! Our winters are pretty brutal too, and I have to admit that I do store mine away until Spring. They'll be coming out again soon.
  • Sandy Eck
    Sandy Eck Woodville, OH
    I have flattened silverware and used Silicon GE II to hold it, It can go in the ground, or into a copper pipe.

Very pretty flowers you've

• Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel
      Sandy Eck I buy it at Wal Mart, but I have also seen it at Home Hardware here, so some larger home improvement stores may also carry it. The reason I like it is because it's meant for boat repair and it's UV and water resistant.
Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel