Setting the Garden With Plate Flowers

Old plates ideas 12 hours ago
When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive.
I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together. I love that every flower will be one of a kind, and the possibilities are really endless.
Here are my finished plate flowers, staked in the ground about 8-12" for stability..
The middle plate flower is made with a silver plate shallow bowl, a silver plate candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.
This one was made with a silver edged plate, a small white scalloped dish, a yellow tea light holder, and a rhinestone brooch.
And the third one was made with three glass pieces, a large 9" plate, a lovely candy dish, and a small diffuser bottle.
The pieces were glued together using Marine Goop adhesive, and left to cure for 24 hours. Once cured I glued pieces of an old deck swing to their backs for stems.
Once the stems were cured I just put them in the garden. The thing I enjoy most is that there's no watering required.
To see more garden art projects check out my blog at http://thriftyrebelvintage.com/

To see more: http://www.thriftyrebel.com/2012/08/setting-garden-with-plate-flowers.html

on This Post

• Mickey & Boo Boo

• Sandy Eck
    Sandy Eck Woodville, OH
    I have flattened silverware and used Silicon GE II to hold it, It can go in the ground, or into a copper pipe.

Very pretty flowers you've

• Mickey & Boo Boo
      Sandy Eck Do you think the Silicon II would hold up to a heavier plate set? I'm using a cupel hook & worry about it not adhering well enough. Do you have to use ALOT of it? Goop it up on it? TY for your help.
  • LaRena Dorsey
    LaRena Dorsey La Verkin, UT
    I always wanted to make me one of these. Thanks for sharing… love it!
  • Olivia Nelson
    Olivia Nelson Salt Lake City, UT
    I love the look of these flowers! They also seem pretty simple to make which is always a plus. I usually like having metal garden stakes though. I found a lot of cute ones at www.brendamichaelsburiedtreasure.com.
  • Dyan kelly
    Dyan kelly Diamond Springs, CA
    They may seem easy to make, but there's a lot of time in making garden plates.
    • Bernice H
      Bernice H Palm Desert, CA
      I sort of agree ..to a point,the most time consuming for me is deciding what to use,then waiting for glue to dry hard . I am part of the instant gratification group of humans. Eek!
  • Sandy Eck
    Sandy Eck Woodville, OH
    Hi Mickey and Boo Boo. I have put 3 different size plates together with it. I just took my stuff out of the garage and cleaned it up, and its still together. I put a pretty good sized ring around the plate, or whatever I am gluing together. I let it dry
Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage