Setting the Garden with Plate Flowers

cool dec ideas 07.18.15
When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive.
I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together. I love that every flower will be one of a kind, and the possibilities are really endless.
Here are my finished plate flowers, staked in the ground about 8-12" for stability..
The middle plate flower is made with a silver plate shallow bowl, a silver plate candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.
This one was made with a silver edged plate, a small white scalloped dish, a yellow tea light holder, and a rhinestone brooch.
And the third one was made with three glass pieces, a large 9" plate, a lovely candy dish, and a small diffuser bottle.
The pieces were glued together using Marine Goop adhesive, and left to cure for 24 hours. Once cured I glued pieces of an old deck swing to their backs for stems.
Once the stems were cured I just put them in the garden. The thing I enjoy most is that there's no watering required.

To see more: http://www.thriftyrebel.com/2012/08/setting-garden-with-plate-flowers.html

• Tamara
    Tamara Northbrook, IL
    Totally cool. Not for my home, but really fabulous.
  • Rochelle McGee
    Rochelle McGee Albuquerque, NM
    If you don't have a garden or don't wish to decorate it...you could attach a hanger in the back and hang it for wall display in the house on a wall. Pretty way to use those odds and ends of dishes in the cabinet.
  • BarbM
    BarbM Marengo, IL
    I bought those green garden stakes and attached it with a electrical clap with a screw and bolt that goes through it to tighten it and my flower plate has been up for over a year now! No glue or tape and it survived our Chicago winter!!
    • Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel
      BarbM That's fabulous Barb! Our winters are pretty brutal too, and I have to admit that I do store mine away until Spring. They'll be coming out again soon.
  • Gail Muncey DiLucchio
    Gail Muncey DiLucchio East Greenwich, RI
    LOVE
  • Sandy Eck
    Sandy Eck Woodville, OH
    I have flattened silverware and used Silicon GE II to hold it, It can go in the ground, or into a copper pipe.

Very pretty flowers you've

• Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel
      Sandy Eck I buy it at Wal Mart, but I have also seen it at Home Hardware here, so some larger home improvement stores may also carry it. The reason I like it is because it's meant for boat repair and it's UV and water resistant.
Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel