Self-watering Planter

I have really appreciated my original Really Raised Bed for starting transplants and nurturing tender plants I get in the mail. But these beds must be watered frequently to keep the soil from drying out.

I decided to make a self-watering raised bed and it has been a rousing success!

I have directions for making your own self-watering, really raised bed at http://www.walterreeves.com/how-to-archive/se....

• Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Now I do have a hunny do for my husband next spring...he doesn't like it when I use his power tools. lol
  • Bernadette M
    Bernadette M Snoqualmie, WA
    Love this and need to make one myself as we wind into fall in my parts
  • Christina
    Christina Rosedale, MD
    I'd like to make a table height garden like this one for next year! I have a very similar method for making my self watering planters, only I modify store bought planters instead of using tubs. Though I really like the height of yours. Mine are posted
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Walter this is Genius! Thanks so Much, I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems following these directions!
  • Stephanie @ Garden Therapy
    great project! I wonder if you could face the front of the table with some different sizes of cedar so it would look decorative on a deck?
  • Patricia R
    Patricia R Jacksonville, FL
    Just love your idea---Have no yard to "get in my hands into a loved chore" anymore---but admire your enjoyment---My daughter gardens in Long Island on porch with huge pots--peppers, tomatoes, cukes--she, too, loves it
  • Mylene W
    Mylene W Jacksonville, FL
    Great Idea!! I'll certainly have to try this out next season. But I'll have to agree with the concerns of Miss Connors and Miss Wells regarding chemicals from the plastic tub or the pressure treated lumber. Just wondering if there's any significant
  • Beachcomber
    Beachcomber Australia
    this is a great idea! looks good and saves bending and kneeling.
  • Andrew Pritchard
    Or you could just not use PT timber at the bottom - just bog standard 2x4s at the bottom will still last a long time.
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    @Susan - I just added a pic of the hole in the bottom of the tub
  • Lesa K
    Lesa K Copperas Cove, TX
    I'm thinkin' PVC pipe instead of the treated wood in the bottom might do the trick just as well or better... just a thought... great design.. I'll have to try it next season, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the raised stand upon which they sit.. sometimes it's
  • Susan G
    Susan G Allentown, PA
    sounds great Walter ! One question what do you do with the runoff if you have a storm and/or downpour? Is there a way to wick the extra collected water away from plant roots?
  • Ellen H
    Ellen H Cullman, AL
    Cool. I could have a nice little spot for growing greens without fighting the pigweed and Johnson grass we can't keep out of our garden. Easier pickin' too.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Thank you Walter. My head hurt so much last night I wasn't sure I was thinking correctly.
  • Marti
    Marti Cortland, OH
    this is a great idea for adaptive gardening for those who have limited use of legs and back,ect...love it!
Walter Reeves