Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Homemade dog shampoo

12.29.14
Make your own dog shampoo that is better for your dog and inexpensive! These are the three main ingredients: 1) 1 cup generic brand uncolored antibacterial liquid hand soap 2) 1/4 cup glycerin (found in the pharmacy section near the rubbing alcohol) 3) 1 cup white vinegar. Mix all ingredients in two quarts of warm water (I use an empty apple juice bottle) and pour it over your dog. I still use baby shampoo for her face and do not get this mix in her eyes or ears. It pours on, soaks in, suds up and rinses off much better than any other dog shampoo I have ever used. The antibacterial hand soap kills any bacteria on the dogs skin (which is what makes them smell "doggy"), the vinegar balances the ph in their skin so they don't get flakey and itchy and the glycerine makes their coat soft and shiny. I've been using it for a couple of years and it is the best! As soon as my dog sees me mixing it up she gets into the bathtub and waits for her massage and bath.
243 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 243 comments | See Previous
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Julee S Sherrie S, Julee, may God Belss you and keep you and yours in the palm of his hand. Sherrie S is that a stamped concrete patio you beautiful 4 legged children are sitting on? I love the way it looks.
  • Diane Chouinard
    my dog gets a wicked rash in the summer,thanks,i will try that...
  • Karen
    Karen Memphis, TN
    This sounds like another great idea! I'm sure my furry friend will love it and smell so good!!
  • Jeanne B
    Jeanne B Athens, GA
    If only this helps..My "Grand Dogs" are so bothered by itching...Athens, Ga. Jeanne K. Briscoe
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Kelly S yes it is stamped concrete. Easy to care for so I'm glad I did it. I made Julee S dog shampoo and it is wonderful. I, too, wonder if humans could use it.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    I love the stuff. I'm on my 3rd batch because my doggies get so clean, soft and smooth.
  • Elizabeth van der Werff
    Thanks for the shampoo recipe. I think I'll they it next bath time. Wonder if it works with non antibacterial soap.

One possible culprit for smelly, itchy dogs is plastic. Don't feed or water dogs in plastic bowls, especially non human

• Audrey
    Audrey Slayton, MN
    thanks for this great idea!! I only have twelve dogs to bathe! This ought to make our job much easier! Let you know how our Springers react to it!!!
  • Sheila Moore
    Sheila Moore Newport News, VA
    Do you use the whole recipe at once?
  • Suz
    Suz Oklahoma City, OK
    ...thanks Julee for posting/sharing this recipe--Sparky(my 12yr old toy poodle) will like it I'm sure...
  • Teresa Church
    Teresa Church Ypsilanti, MI
    does this work well for fleas and ticks also? or will I need something separate for them?
  • Michal Teora
    Michal Teora Rosamond, CA
    What a great idea. I will use these on my doggies....
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Audrey , how did it work for the Springers? Our newest family member gets really dry skin even though he has open access to fresh water.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    This original recipe was made by a vet, it is absolutely the best recipe I have ever used for dogs.
  • Robynlh60
    How long does it keep in a jar? Does it need to be kept in the fridge?
Julee S

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing