Homemade dog shampoo

Pets and pests 10.14.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Make your own dog shampoo that is better for your dog and inexpensive! These are the three main ingredients: 1) 1 cup generic brand uncolored antibacterial liquid hand soap 2) 1/4 cup glycerin (found in the pharmacy section near the rubbing alcohol) 3) 1 cup white vinegar. Mix all ingredients in two quarts of warm water (I use an empty apple juice bottle) and pour it over your dog. I still use baby shampoo for her face and do not get this mix in her eyes or ears. It pours on, soaks in, suds up and rinses off much better than any other dog shampoo I have ever used. The antibacterial hand soap kills any bacteria on the dogs skin (which is what makes them smell "doggy"), the vinegar balances the ph in their skin so they don't get flakey and itchy and the glycerine makes their coat soft and shiny. I've been using it for a couple of years and it is the best! As soon as my dog sees me mixing it up she gets into the bathtub and waits for her massage and bath.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    This original recipe was made by a vet, it is absolutely the best recipe I have ever used for dogs.
  • Robynlh60
    How long does it keep in a jar? Does it need to be kept in the fridge?
  • Carolyn V
    Carolyn V Litchfield, MN
    the original recipe came from a vet; how smart and thanks for sharing; I'm trying it
  • Sofia Tsoukala
    Good morning from Greece.Thank you soo much for this recipe for my shih tzu,Giselle!!!!I have a question,how much in gram.is two quarts water?thank you...
    • Shane Lynch
      Sofia Tsoukala 2 quarts of water is about 893 grams of water. Or 2 quarts of water is a little under 2 liters of water (1.83 liters)
  • Irene
    Irene Escondido, CA
    As a dog groomer for more than 20 years, I used a formula like this, only used Ivory dish soap. We didn't have anti-bacterial soap then. Bit it worked great and never had any allergies or complaints. We even used it for our show dogs that were white.
Julee S

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post