Simple Spice Storage

I'm currently in the middle of redoing my smaller kitchen that I want to function like a well-planned galley. I'm also trying to spend as little as possible to do it! Here's what I whipped up to create a functional and stylish little storage system for salt, kosher salt, powdered sugar, etc. (Everything above the counters will be white and fresh in my space, but you could use it for "colorful" spices too....heck, even beads in your craft room.) You'll just need spice jars, floral wire and nails!

To see more: http://www.freckledlaundry.com/2012/08/wire-and-nail-hanging-spice-holder.html

• Peg
    Peg Saint George, UT
    Very cute. Amazing what you can do in a small kitchen when you are creative.
  • Maryannnmp
    Maryannnmp Philadelphia, PA
    really a good and cute and good idea
  • Carolyn_conway
    Carolyn_conway Independence, MO
    Can also use the very small mason jelly jars to do this....
  • LauriCNEKS
    LauriCNEKS Fairview, KS
    I liked the larger wire better
  • Beverly Alley
    Beverly Alley Mesa, AZ
    I also had a problem with storage for my spices and used this opening to build shelves and finally had a place for my spices.
    • Gracie
      Gracie Arkansas City, KS
      Beverly Alley I love your idea for the spices, but I really love your serving window.
  • Judy Parkey
    Judy Parkey Madill, OK
    I'd want the name of the spice on the front with an expiration date.
  • Barbara C
    Barbara C Mcdonough, GA
    all these ideas are good, but spices should never be exposed to light and heat.cool and dark is best.
  • Felicity Woodruffe
    Felicity Woodruffe United Kingdom
    you can glue magnets to the lids if you dont want to use wire
  • Dana Corby
    Dana Corby Anderson Island, WA
    Clever and attractive, but a terrible mistake. Spices should be stored in the dark, as far from the stove as possible in the kitchen, because light and heat destroy them. Mine are in a drawer on the other side of the room. My spices last for years --
  • Lisa Fortner
    Lisa Fortner Louisville, KY
    great idea!!! good job!
  • Felicity Woodruffe
    Felicity Woodruffe United Kingdom
    mamite jars would be great for this as they are dark and a perfect size for spices and dried herbs could ut screw through lids or glue magnets on lids
  • Charlotte Belange
    where did you get the jars? i have a lot of spices and herbs Char Belange YELM, WA
    • Kara
      Kara Mountain Home, AR
      Charlotte I have very similar containers. I bought them online from SKS Bottles; I believe they are the French square and come in a 24 pack of glass or plastic. I was also able to save $10, by liking the company on FB and then emailing them to verify
  • Kathy
    Kathy Independence, OR
    I think we all have preferences or different info on spice storage. I think heat is most destructive, but consider light and heat they are exposed to in transit or store. I think age is dangerous for some spices. These hanging bottles are great idea.
  • Jennifer Love Mendenhall
    Where you put your spices is up to you but the concept is super cheap and easy. What a great idea.
  • Lakshmi Sudhakar
    A great idea.
Freckled Laundry (Jami)