How to get gross smells out of old furniture

Actually, the better title might be, "How do you get the 'dead' smell out of furniture?

But don't call the cops on me; this question came from the cops, a CSI friend of mine.

She wrote: "You can imagine that crime scene investigators like me get interesting questions. However, tonight's, though forensically sound, is more appropriate for my Atta Girls. Neighbor: "How do you get the smell of 'dead' out of furniture?" Seems a 78-year-old, sentimental chest of drawers in her garage became home to a decaying critter without her immediate knowledge. She's tried Fabreeze and bleach, which not only didn't work, but also warped a thin, wood packing crate her father used to craft the piece. Any suggestions?"

I gave my pal some suggestions for getting the stench out of old furniture and thrift store finds, which you can read on my blog, Atta Girl Says. But I also wanted to post the query here at Hometalk.

What are your solutions for removing gross from furniture? #Bestof2012 #springcleaning

To see more: http://www.attagirlsays.com/2012/09/06/how-to-get-gross-smells-out-of-old-furniture/

• Henrietta  Retired-- Love Gardening
    Henrietta Retired-- Love... Williamsville, IL
    ```I HAVE TRIED LOTS OF THINGS..SEALER IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS FOR ME. AS FAR AS QUILTS, DRY CLEAN ? LOTS OF TIME ON CLOTHES LINE.
  • Rosalie chow
    rosalie chow San Francisco, CA
    I heard that Clorox Liquid Bleach with kill the mold on wood furniture. After cleaning with Clorox, then sand it down and retained. Bring out to air it out for a long time.
  • Dianne Anderson
    Dianne Anderson Timmonsville, SC
    There's nothing like fresh air, baking soda and sunshine to eliminate odors. If you can get the piece to a covered porch or barn, where it can get fresh air, put some baking soda in it and let it stay for a few days, I think that will eliminate the problem.
  • Philo Charmang
    Philo Charmang Pearland, TX
    No name brand shaving cream from the dollar store , apply a thick coat several times then wipe off and spray vinegar 3 parts to 1 of water and that should help with some of the odor. I asked a coroner (20+ years ago once how would he handle odors like
  • Gayle
    Gayle Blairsville, GA
    I also have an old chest that has an odor. I researched online and learned that spraying vinegar inside the drawers was a good solution. I'm about to try this for myself. Hope it works.
Atta Girl Amy