Hometalk.com

Dream Home 01.25.14

How to get gross smells out of old furniture

Actually, the better title might be, "How do you get the 'dead' smell out of furniture?

But don't call the cops on me; this question came from the cops, a CSI friend of mine.

She wrote: "You can imagine that crime scene investigators like me get interesting questions. However, tonight's, though forensically sound, is more appropriate for my Atta Girls. Neighbor: "How do you get the smell of 'dead' out of furniture?" Seems a 78-year-old, sentimental chest of drawers in her garage became home to a decaying critter without her immediate knowledge. She's tried Fabreeze and bleach, which not only didn't work, but also warped a thin, wood packing crate her father used to craft the piece. Any suggestions?"

I gave my pal some suggestions for getting the stench out of old furniture and thrift store finds, which you can read on my blog, Atta Girl Says. But I also wanted to post the query here at Hometalk.

What are your solutions for removing gross from furniture? #Bestof2012 #springcleaning

To see more: http://www.attagirlsays.com/2012/09/06/how-to-get-gross-smells-out-of-old-furniture/

79 Comments Displaying 15 of 79 comments | See Previous
  • Vicki Binger-Gowen Belleville, IL
    All of your comments are wonderful & the humor that you bring to the conversation is delightful!! If we could all meet in a "geograhically centered" area for "tea & crumpets", the resulting tape of the round table discussion would be an instant hit on
    • Kathie taylor Largo, FL
      Vicki Binger-Gowen Sprinkle 20 Mule Team heavily over carpet area. Let it sit for a day or two, I think I used B. soda with it. Use a broom to get in down in, then vacuum repeatedly.
  • The black light will react to the salts that are in urine. Not sure about much else. I know some mold does glow pretty bright when exposed.
  • N C Marshfield, MA
    ODORMUTE!!! Buy it online. It is the very best odor remover. Skunk, old attic, musty, pet, urine, anything and everything. I got this when my dog chased a skunk and met the business end of his new found friend. I tried everything , even the
    • N C I have tried to find this product you mentioned ODERMUTE! and have not been able to find it. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • Atta Girl Amy Greensboro, NC
    Thanks for the tip. A friend just said her cat peed on her boots and all the usual remedies didn't get the smell out. Wonder if Odormute would be safe for leather books, N C
  • Atta Girl Amy Greensboro, NC
    That should have been "leather boots."
  • Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Atta Girl Amy I don't know if odormute is safe for leather boots, or the stuff they sell at SAM's called Odor OUT, but my thoughts are...she can't wear them the way they are so she really
  • Sheri Mounds, OK
    I purchased my first home all by myself in 1998. An elderly lady had lived alone in the house for years. Unfortunately I forgot & learned a valuable lesson to open every cabinet in the house. One of the bathroom cabinets which was a cloths hamper. After
  • N C Marshfield, MA
    yes, you can use on leather, but after use, need to recondition the leather ie: leather cleaner, or conditioner.hope she tried it.
  • At The Picket Fence Florence, KY
    You are so awesome Amy! Love this! ~Vanessa
  • lemon oil, worked on a old leather recliner after someone borrowed it tha smoked. also on old dressers.
  • I've used cat little inside old musty things before...haven't tried it for dead smells though. Good luck. Let everyone know how you do it!
  • Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    I know how to get that horrible stench out of a closed up refrigerator! You know, that dank, ick never-open-it-again smell? Crumple up news papers, throw them in and close the door for a few days. Wow and done.
  • There are companies that clean crime and death scenes, they are often called in by police departments to clean cars that have been "desecrated" by drunk or drugged up perps. I'll bet one of them could and would have a suggestion for getting out "dead"