Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

I have a white tile on my kitchen floor, will a garage floor finish work to cover it.

04.01.13
I absolutely hate in and it's impossible to keep clean, Most of the replacements I've considered involve taking the tile up. I'm looking for something that will cover the existing surface, provide some color, be easy to clean and inexpensive. Tall order I know
19 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 19 comments | See Previous
  • Mary Insana
    Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, I'll take one tomorrow, getting late here :)
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Karen Griffin
    Thanks for all the input. I haven't decided what I will do but it's nice to have some options
  • Mary Insana
    Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    Hamtil Construction LLC here are the pictures on how my tile floor transitions to my stairs. I woul really hate to have to take the tile up si
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    Thanks for the photos Mary I. You have an issue here with the transition should you decide to tile over tile. Most times we reserve this method for places like bathrooms where the existing tile is
  • Mary Insana
    Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    Hamtil Construction, lol, I was hoping it would be easier than that ! Looks like thats one project I probably won't undertake myself. I may just wait and have someone remove the existing tile and replace it all. I bet I could remove it to cut down on the
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    Ha! Yes, Mary I. I thought that may be the case while I was writing all that out.. but still sometimes it does pay to tile over. Maybe not in your case. Tear out.. now that is another whole challenge as well.. IF it was installed well. Best of luck!
  • Mark Potter
    Mark Potter Salt Point, NY
    Mary's tile would definetly need to be deglazed. I wouldn't recomend it that way because of the hight at the top step has to be equal to the rest.
  • Mary Insana
    Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    The guy who owned/built the house before us was a real do-it-yourselver and not in a good way so I tend to think they were not put down right. He did a lot of the interior completion work himself.He's also the one who put the full wall mirrors in the
  • Its Really Concrete, Inc.
    you can easily deglaze tile by iamond grinding then place either epoxy or concrete,,, color won't affect either product,,, just be certain you select the correct material - some do not adhere well to tile's tight pores - ck w/manufacturer to be sure
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I used a chipping hammer to take my old tile out. Messy but very effective.
  • Karen Griffin
    NO
  • Marcia Reichert
    Marcia Reichert Horn Lake, MS
    Sounds like your creating a monster. Once you have messed up what you have you are committed to either continue or start over, and you'll probably have to start over. Do you have any old the flooring that you can experiment on? I'd just tear it out and
  • LandlightS
    LandlightS Roswell, GA
    karen....have you considered a laminate floating floor? Easy to float over ceramic tile and you would only have to build up the stair nose, from what I see in your photos'. That can be easily accomplished by removing the stair nose and build up the
  • Laura G
    Laura G Evergreen Park, IL
    DON'T DO IT! My sister did this and with all the traffic in the kitchen and moving the chairs in and out from under the table, it's been scraped off! Guess what shows up underneath, yep, your old floor!
  • Decorative Concrete Solutions
    The problem is that tile is very hard and you'll have an extremely difficult time getting anything to stick to it without proper preparation such as what Its Really Concrete, Inc
Karen Griffin
  • Likes

Susan Weaver Jen Fleshman