Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
03.03.13

Livingroom remodel

This "window" is between my livingroom and hallway. My house was built in the 70s and this makes it look so dated. What should I do with it??
13 Comments Displaying 13 of 13 comments
  • Marianne Radley
    Depends on how much you want to do. If you want a cheap and fast fix you could take out the spindles and insert frosted glass or etched glass. That's the simple way but not what I'd do. I'd open the wall as much as possible for a more spacious feel. Just
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Though I happen to like it as is, I cant think of a few ways to disguise it.

Adhere cut to size beveled mirrors on each side so the trim looks like the frame.

• Donna R
    Donna R Lumberton, TX
    I could see taking out the spindles and hanging an old window or freshly painted old window, whichever you prefer, in the opening. I like the idea of opening up the wall as Marianne suggested, if you want to go that much into it. Shelves, that Becky
  • Carol S
    Carol S Warwick, RI
    This wall maybe the load bearing wall of the house - so what I am about to suggest may not be do able. Open it up - make it the entrance. You must have another enterance into the room? - You could close it off - and do as you please with the new corner
  • Becky H
    Becky H Tampa, FL
    Before you decide what to do w/the opening, another consideration is your A/C ducts. Check their locations and make sure the air circulation in that area doesn't rely on having that opening.
  • Trish A
    Trish A Lindenhurst, NY
    If you don't need it for air circulation, consider having a stained glass insert made for it. Depending on the pattern and color of the glass, you can attain a modern or traditional look. Instant art work that can be admired from both rooms.
  • Becky H
    Becky H Tampa, FL
    Trish, great minds think alike! Stained glass or leaded glass was exactly what I was thinking, but it depends upon her A/C system.
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    Maybe for a modern twist you could remove the spindles and use twisted wire shapes on the outer sides that meet in the middle top leaving a keyhole open shape to add a really brilliant crystal vase. There are amazing things you can do yourself with
  • Betty W
    Betty W Shelbyville, KY
    Remove spindles. Put a couple of studs in and cover center with sheetrock. Hang a picture on both sides . Or take down all the wood and cover with sheetrock.
  • Ghislaine A
    Ghislaine A Tampa, FL
    Design a stained glass window.
  • Terry
    Terry Lees Summit, MO
    I had 2 of these exactly the same between my kitchen and living room, I hated them. You only have 1 so just knock out the spindles and open it up. If you have a saw, cut through the spindle centers and pull them out. If not, just take a hammer to the
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    I might either:

- Take it all down, frame the hole with studs and drywall it.

• BlueLine Home Maintenance & Remodeling
    Depends on whether you want to open this wall up IF it's not load bearing! Another idea we used in a home in Macksville, KS was a unique 'window' from offices behind into the family room downstairs. IF you can shore up the exisiting opening to hold the
Tana
  • Like

Sharron W

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!