Installing cabinets atop laminate flooring

09.17.12
I've heard two opposing viewpoints and am confused. If you do install cabinets first should you build up subfloor to height of flooring? This is new construction.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Gary makes a very very good point. Trust me! We found out the hard way the importance of that when recently replacing a dishwasher.
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    Floating laminate is typically after the cabinets are installed. Subfloor - under the cabinets for sure.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Keep in mind that laminates are considered disposable floors, and that after just a few years will look pretty sad...if these are installed UNDER the cabinets is is going to be a real bugger to replace them.
  • Marianne Radley
    I prefer tile also, but this is my brother - in - laws. Can't seem to get him to make a move unless its his way!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Yup...stubborn people often have to deal with more problems down the road because they seem to refuse to accept the wisdom and common sense of experience.
Marianne Radley