Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Building With Pallets – How to Easily Disassemble A Pallet In Minutes

Arts & Crafts 3 days ago
As most of you know – we love to build with pallet wood. If you spend some time looking - it is usually pretty easy to find a source to get them for free – and if you find the right kind – the building potential is limitless. I thought for today's DIY post I would show how we go about taking a pallet from its current state to great usable wood in just a few minutes

Working with pallets – the first thing we realized early on is it is nearly impossible and too time consuming to worry yourselves with pulling out the nails. It is too easy to damage the wood with the claw and hammer or pry bar.

Instead, we opt for our sawzall method – which can disassemble a pallet in less than two minutes into 10 or more pieces of great usable wood. Besides – the left over embedded nail fragments actually add a ton of character to pieces when either stained or painted.

So – 1st Tip – Invest in a sawzall. They are the key to quickly destructing a pallet – and without damaging or splintering the wood. Yes, it's an expense – but the inexpensive ones will work just fine with pallets.

2nd Tip – forget about the little 5″ blade that comes with your sawzall. That will only frustrate you. Buy a couple of 12″

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2012/09/18/building-with-pallets-how-to-disassemble-a-pallet-with-ease-for-great-wood/

34 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 34 comments | See Previous
  • Jim
    Jim Oklahoma City, OK
    I had an expensive sawzall and it burned out, then I got a cheap on at Harbor Freight for only $20 and it works fine (by Chicago Tools) check it out Treen Brown.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Sharon Chapko
    Sharon Chapko West Mifflin, PA
    Thank you for the info! I saw other sites that claimed to show you how, and when I clicked on them, it was something else totally different! I appreciate your information here! Now, to figure out what I can make with all this wood I have! Any good sites
  • Shannon Dollison-Ryan
    how can you tell if the pallet is treated or untreated?
  • Elaine C
    Elaine C Dudley, MA
    Thanks for this info, tried taking a pallet apart, was to hard for this lady to do with a hammer, but I do have a sawsall that I will try using, come spring time, I have all winter to figure out what I want to make,,,,
  • James Russell
    James Russell North Kingstown, RI
    It saves time, but it doesn't save the nails.
  • Val
    Val Canada
    This is the best post of all time! I spent an afternoon last summer busting a gut trying to take a pallet apart with a crowbar. Now I'll be able to spend my time building instead of sweating and swearing! Thanks so much for this tip! Val
  • Marci N
    Marci N Florence, OR
    I'm with you Val, I spent half the day getting the friggin pallets apart. Was able to save some of the nails but mostly it was staples. They are not reusable. What a waste of time. I will try this the next time I want to use pallet wood. I think the
  • Val
    Val Canada
    Hi Marci, I think the nails would be OK to leave in if we make something mostly decorative, like a rustic crate maybe? I have made a few from pallet boards and really like the rustic look! Val
  • Ed
    Ed Cherry Hill, NJ
    Unbelievable tip on pulling these apart. I am embarrassed to say that I spent several hours one day in an industrial parking lot hacking away with a crow bar and hammer. By the time It's amazing I still have my fingers! And, most importantly, the boards
  • Andrew Pritchard
    The problem with using a sawzall is that it leaves the nails in the skids. If you want to cut up the skids to use in another project, that's no good. Those nail ends will ruin any blades that go near them - planer blades, jointer blades, or table saw
  • Charles Howat
    Charles Howat Australia
    i've been using a broken hacksaw blade in a plastic handle.then just knock the rest of the nails in with a hammer
  • Amanda Thomas
    Amanda Thomas Dickinson, ND
    I took a 2x4 and put between the boards I wanted and pried up in the middle first and then the ends. the sawzall left the nail heads in and then I had to get a little nail punch and hammer all the heads out which took too much time. leaving the nail
  • Sherry brady
    Sherry brady Owings, MD
    I just made a headboard using the saws all technique and the nails are staying put!

I like the nails.

• Christine
    Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    If you're using the boards as is, this is absolutely the way to go. (Frankly, I'm surprised it warranted an entire post about it, since it seems common sense. Work smarter, not harder!) You can still pop the remaining nails out with a nail set, using
Old World Garden Farms