Building With Pallets – How to Easily Disassemble A Pallet In Minutes

pallet 18 hours ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
As most of you know – we love to build with pallet wood. If you spend some time looking - it is usually pretty easy to find a source to get them for free – and if you find the right kind – the building potential is limitless. I thought for today's DIY post I would show how we go about taking a pallet from its current state to great usable wood in just a few minutes

Working with pallets – the first thing we realized early on is it is nearly impossible and too time consuming to worry yourselves with pulling out the nails. It is too easy to damage the wood with the claw and hammer or pry bar.

Instead, we opt for our sawzall method – which can disassemble a pallet in less than two minutes into 10 or more pieces of great usable wood. Besides – the left over embedded nail fragments actually add a ton of character to pieces when either stained or painted.

So – 1st Tip – Invest in a sawzall. They are the key to quickly destructing a pallet – and without damaging or splintering the wood. Yes, it's an expense – but the inexpensive ones will work just fine with pallets.

2nd Tip – forget about the little 5″ blade that comes with your sawzall. That will only frustrate you. Buy a couple of 12″

• A sawzall can make all the difference
  • You can use pallet wood to build anything - we even built our chicken coop with it!
  • By following the simple steps - you can end up with great wood pieces like these in just minutes!

To see more:

• James Russell
    James Russell North Kingstown, RI
    It saves time, but it doesn't save the nails.
  • Elaine C
    Elaine C Dudley, MA
    Thanks for this info, tried taking a pallet apart, was to hard for this lady to do with a hammer, but I do have a sawsall that I will try using, come spring time, I have all winter to figure out what I want to make,,,,
  • Shannon Dollison-Ryan
    how can you tell if the pallet is treated or untreated?
  • Sharon Chapko
    Sharon Chapko West Mifflin, PA
    Thank you for the info! I saw other sites that claimed to show you how, and when I clicked on them, it was something else totally different! I appreciate your information here! Now, to figure out what I can make with all this wood I have! Any good sites
    • Edward DeLong
      Edward DeLong Honesdale, PA
      Winfield has some new craft/decorative plans for pallet wood. There is also a new book on building with pallet wood.
  • Jim
    Jim Oklahoma City, OK
    I had an expensive sawzall and it burned out, then I got a cheap on at Harbor Freight for only $20 and it works fine (by Chicago Tools) check it out Treen Brown.
  • Heather (New House New Home)
    We spent an hour last weekend trying to tear apart a pallet and that's exactly what happened -it tore apart leaving only one usable board. I'm shaking my head thinking "why didn't we think of this?"?
  • Marci N
    Marci N Florence, OR
    OMG, here I was tearing them apart with a hammer and a crowbar. Can't tell you how many times I missed and got my legs with one or the other. Sigh, I looked like I had been beat up with all the bruises.
  • Renae Hartson
    Renae Hartson Gilbert, AZ
    Is there a blade/attachment for a Dremel that will do the same job?
  • Natounet2311(robin francoise)
    tres interressant toutes ces récuperations! pouvez vous me dire ce qu'est un sawzall,??..
  • Treen Brown
    Treen Brown United Kingdom
    would love a sawzall but cant afford one , any cheaper products that so the same job?
    • Jim
      Jim Oklahoma City, OK
      Treen Brown You can get one that works just fine for $20 or slightly more at Harbor Freight Tools. I had an expensive one and it pooped out and then got a $20 one made by Chicago Tools and it works just great.
  • Molly H
    Molly H Lancaster, OH
    I love this idea,
  • Forestine M
    Forestine M Statesville, NC
    And to think I have been beating my brains out trying to take these things apart with a hammer and crowbar. Sad thing is, I have a sawzall in my possession(:
  • Restoration House Interiors
    This was so helpful! Thanks for sharing!
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Hamtil Construction- That's a great point - and yes - we only save and reuse untreated pallets. Much like you - I just wouldn't feel comfortable working with or building with the treated ones.
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Terry - Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old World Garden Farms

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post