Dahlia Bulbs

This year I planted a few Dahlia bulbs and I am wondering about keeping them for next year. I know I have to take the bulbs out of the ground but do they have to stay in dirt with some foliage or what? Mary Jo
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I planted Dahlias for the first time ever this year and I must say I do not think I will keep mine or ever plant them again. Perhaps it was the drought conditions we have....????
  • TRD Designs Ltd.
    TRD Designs Ltd. Katonah, NY
    we take the bulbs out for clients. we remove all of the soil, wrap in news papper, place in 5 gallon buckets with sand covering them and then keep them in a cool dry envirrionment for the winter,
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    In zones 8 and warmer, dahlias can be overwintered in the ground. Otherwise you need to lift them. After a killing frost, cut the foliage back to 2 to 4 inches above the ground. Lift each clump separately with a spading fork and gently brush the soil off
Thank you {% auth.user().name %} for answering this question & helping the community!
Here are some more recent questions

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post