Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
outdoor projects 07.02.14

Old wire egg basket and thrift store floor lamp stand repurposed into an outdoor planter

I used an old wire egg basket and a thrift store floor lamp stand to make this outdoor flower stand. The basket is lined with black landscape cloth and a hanging basket liner. ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLANT STANDRemove lamp assembly and wiring from lamp stand, leaving the threaded nipple that connected it to the stand.Paint the stand & basket if desired. We used rust preventive outdoor paint. Cut a block from a piece of pressure treated wood. We used an old piece that we had on hand and cut our block approx. 1"x 5 ½ " x 5 ½".Then drill a hole in the block that will allow it to slip down over the nipple and fit snuggly onto the stand. You will now need to countersink a nut onto the nipple. The block should now be firmly seated.Next, center the basket onto the block and attach as shown in photo.If using the plant stand outdoors you will need to anchor it to the ground. We used two 1/2" pieces of rebar that were about 2 feet long. This will depend on the soil type. If using rebar, you will need a torch to bend a 90 degree angle that will fit over the top of the base as shown in photo. You can be creative with any of these steps, but be sure that it is weather proof and sturdy.
49 Comments Displaying 15 of 49 comments | See Previous
  • Andrea S
    Andrea S Canada
    Isn't it top heavy? I wonder if the wind will blow it down. It looks very nice.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Andrea, if you look closely you will see the clamp that anchors the stand to the deck railing. We now have the stand in a flower bed and the anchors are at the base. I am in the process of adding photos of the construction. I will post that as soon as
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Hope we didn't leave out anything in the assembly instructions. If you have a question, please ask.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Pat, you are so wonderful. Thank you for sharing this!
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Yes Pat, thanks for the "how to" info - we appreciate the extra time you had to devote to taking it apart and reassembling for the curious among us!!
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    So glad to do it for you. I know how disappointed I would be if I saw a post on Hometalk and the creator was not willing to share the instructions. The script might be enough, but I am one who loves the pictures. You know the saying, "a picture is
  • G. Bryant
    G. Bryant Pittsburgh, PA
    And I was gonna toss that old lamp. Thanx for the idea.
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thank you Miriam I. I am so glad that I found Hometalk!! It has inspired me to start new projects, and I love to see what other creative thinkers are coming up with! Not only that, but everyone that I have been fortunate to interact with has been
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    G. please post your finished project! Hope you have as much fun with it as I did!
  • Andrea S
    Andrea S Canada
    Ah I see the clamp. The flowers drew my eyes up - that's the point, right? LOL. I like the lamp base too. It looks like my next project ;0)
  • Georgiann D
    How did you anchor it in the ground?
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    If using the plant stand outdoors you will need to anchor it to the ground. We used two 1/2" pieces of rebar that were about 2 feet long. This will depend on the soil type. If using rebar, you will need a torch to bend a 90 degree angle that will fit
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Good luck with your lamp to planter project, Andrea. Be sure to post it for us to admire!
  • Jpol
    what is the purpose of the small hose attached to the post ?
Pat aka Queen of Thrift

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!