Old wire egg basket and thrift store floor lamp stand repurposed into an outdoor planter

Planters 08.30.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I used an old wire egg basket and a thrift store floor lamp stand to make this outdoor flower stand. The basket is lined with black landscape cloth and a hanging basket liner. ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLANT STANDRemove lamp assembly and wiring from lamp stand, leaving the threaded nipple that connected it to the stand.Paint the stand & basket if desired. We used rust preventive outdoor paint. Cut a block from a piece of pressure treated wood. We used an old piece that we had on hand and cut our block approx. 1"x 5 ½ " x 5 ½".Then drill a hole in the block that will allow it to slip down over the nipple and fit snuggly onto the stand. You will now need to countersink a nut onto the nipple. The block should now be firmly seated.Next, center the basket onto the block and attach as shown in photo.If using the plant stand outdoors you will need to anchor it to the ground. We used two 1/2" pieces of rebar that were about 2 feet long. This will depend on the soil type. If using rebar, you will need a torch to bend a 90 degree angle that will fit over the top of the base as shown in photo. You can be creative with any of these steps, but be sure that it is weather proof and sturdy.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    What a great way to layer plants in your garden.
  • Sally B
    Sally B Roseburg, OR
    I would love this in one of my seating areas in our backyard. Love it & just another project for winter for next spring. Love this sight.
  • Brenda Melton Brown
    Brenda Melton Brown Oklahoma City, OK
    great idea!!
  • Joan A
    Joan A Beaverton, OR
    Nice idea. I might do this. Mine is currently a candle holder. Love the old pole lamps, (once they are rewired).
  • Georgiann D
    See it is connected to the railing so it don't blow over !!!
  • Deanna
    Deanna North Richland Hills, TX
    Great idea...very clever and cute!
  • Cathy C
    Cathy C Red Creek, NY
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks, everyone. I will post more details of how we put this together. We did it about 4 years ago (and it still looks good and the pole has not rusted out.....yet!). I plant something different in it every spring. It is now in a flower/shrub bed
  • Pam R
    Pam R Petaluma, CA
    Cute and clever! Put's a whole new meaning to "grow lamp"... ;-)
  • Marie B
    Marie B White Plains, KY
    Neat -love it!
  • Jane H
    Jane H Marble, NC
    I have several of the egg baskets- I want to use some for lights on my back porch- The hole in the middle is just perfect for putting the lamp kit into. They will hang upside down and I want to use some kind of pretty fabric or paper in the sides of the
  • Laurie Baines
    Laurie Baines Tacoma, WA
    Very cool...like this alot!
  • Ione H
    Ione H Gulfport, MS
    what a cool idea
  • JO Erie
    JO Erie Newell, IA
    Great idea!
  • Cindy Humphrey
    Cindy Humphrey Fort Worth, TX
    Very creative. I really like it.
Pat aka Queen of Thrift

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post