Hometalk.com

Old wire egg basket and thrift store floor lamp stand repurposed into an outdoor planter

I used an old wire egg basket and a thrift store floor lamp stand to make this outdoor flower stand. The basket is lined with black landscape cloth and a hanging basket liner. ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLANT STANDRemove lamp assembly and wiring from lamp stand, leaving the threaded nipple that connected it to the stand.Paint the stand & basket if desired. We used rust preventive outdoor paint. Cut a block from a piece of pressure treated wood. We used an old piece that we had on hand and cut our block approx. 1"x 5 ½ " x 5 ½".Then drill a hole in the block that will allow it to slip down over the nipple and fit snuggly onto the stand. You will now need to countersink a nut onto the nipple. The block should now be firmly seated.Next, center the basket onto the block and attach as shown in photo.If using the plant stand outdoors you will need to anchor it to the ground. We used two 1/2" pieces of rebar that were about 2 feet long. This will depend on the soil type. If using rebar, you will need a torch to bend a 90 degree angle that will fit over the top of the base as shown in photo. You can be creative with any of these steps, but be sure that it is weather proof and sturdy.
47 Comments Displaying 15 of 47 comments | See Previous
  • Angela ralston Greenfield, OH
    Great Idea Patti.....could also use artificial flowers and display inside of home ....
  • Donna D Ocean Springs, MS
    I have just the lamp for this. I can't wait. Please post instructions. I've got some ideas, but I'd love to know how you did this.
  • Andrea S Canada
    Isn't it top heavy? I wonder if the wind will blow it down. It looks very nice.
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Andrea, if you look closely you will see the clamp that anchors the stand to the deck railing. We now have the stand in a flower bed and the anchors are at the base. I am in the process of adding photos of the construction. I will post that as soon as
    Hope we didn't leave out anything in the assembly instructions. If you have a question, please ask.
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Pat, you are so wonderful. Thank you for sharing this!
  • Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Yes Pat, thanks for the "how to" info - we appreciate the extra time you had to devote to taking it apart and reassembling for the curious among us!!
    So glad to do it for you. I know how disappointed I would be if I saw a post on Hometalk and the creator was not willing to share the instructions. The script might be enough, but I am one who loves the pictures. You know the saying, "a picture is
  • G. Bryant Pittsburgh, PA
    And I was gonna toss that old lamp. Thanx for the idea.
    Thank you Miriam I. I am so glad that I found Hometalk!! It has inspired me to start new projects, and I love to see what other creative thinkers are coming up with! Not only that, but everyone that I have been fortunate to interact with has been
    G. please post your finished project! Hope you have as much fun with it as I did!
  • Andrea S Canada
    Ah I see the clamp. The flowers drew my eyes up - that's the point, right? LOL. I like the lamp base too. It looks like my next project ;0)
  • How did you anchor it in the ground?
    If using the plant stand outdoors you will need to anchor it to the ground. We used two 1/2" pieces of rebar that were about 2 feet long. This will depend on the soil type. If using rebar, you will need a torch to bend a 90 degree angle that will fit
    Good luck with your lamp to planter project, Andrea. Be sure to post it for us to admire!