plain box turned into a Treasure Box

Upcycling 01.22.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I saw this box at a close-out store and knew it had potential. A little bit of sanding, painting and detail and I now have a Treasure/Jewelry/anything you want to keep in it Box.
  • before. Just a cheap box at a close-out store.
  • complete. I gave it an old distressed look.
  • I lined the drawers with Gold Satin that has a red flower design. I figured that the black with gold had an Asian feel and wanted to keep the inside of the drawers the same style.
  • White Oak Studio Designs
    Nice! Reminds me of my Shaker style candle box I have on my fireplace mantle.
  • Marakiaya
    Marakiaya Australia
    Wow - I love it!!
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    Susan I used the many coats of paint method LOL. First black, then gold, then black, then gold so that when I sanded it down to distress it I could really play around with it. say I sanded too much...then I could sand a little more and get back to the
  • Donna R
    Donna R Lumberton, TX
    Beautiful box, Marg. Your jewelry that you keep for yourself will look so pretty or to use it for display in pictures of what you sell.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Oh Marg - a girl after my own heart!! I love boxes and you've done a beautiful job on this. Oh yes, you definitely saw the potential and made it happen!! Did you use Rub 'n Buff to create the gold antiquing? And you have two more of these!!
  • Ellen H
    Ellen H Cullman, AL
    Very pretty, Marg. I love boxes.
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    Marg C, I saw your Etsy site, and of course all the nice things you made. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    thank you! and that WOULD be a good idea to sell at my Etsy site :) this would go great hand in hand with the jewelry. thanks BeckyH, and everyone:) I'm anxious to get started now!
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    Marg, I love the your litle treasure box, and you have a wonderful job with it. The gold and red satin help to make this little princess into a Queej for keepsakes. Wish I could find items like that at close outs!
  • TaniaC
    TaniaC Fairfield, IL
    OH wow Marg I love it You did and awesome job transforming it... What a treasure you have now♥
  • Becky H
    Becky H Tampa, FL
    Good for you Marg! That just makes it a little more oriental. I love finished drawers on the inside. If you get the other boxes, perhaps you can sell them on your jewelry site once they're finished too.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    for some reason I'm loving this box. It measures a foot long and 8" high and houses alot of my little things that I need on a daily basis. I forgot to add that I have 2 more lined up and waiting for me to get started on :)
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    yes I did Becky:)
  • Becky H
    Becky H Tampa, FL
    I noticed something in the bottom of the box. Satin works!! Did you paint the inside of the drawers gold too? Or is that just the contrast of the natural wood against the black?
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    thanks all....BeckyH..for now I've lined it with gold and red satin. I thought the oriental look would be fitting :)
Marg C

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post