Companion plants for succulents

Garden ideas 05.02.15
Many Hometalk members have recently posted about succulents, and Debra Lee Baldwin has a useful post on companion plants for them on her blog, Gardening Gone Wild. She's also giving a talk on the topic at next week's "Succulent Extravaganza" at the Succulent Gardens near San Francisco. Have you incorporated these water-thrifty plants into your gardens? What do you plant with them? See her full post here:

http://www.gardeninggonewild.com/

• Janice S
    Love Agaves!!!
  • Esther Thomas
    This is beautiful and i can plant succulents here Iam in central Fl. on the east coast , so t do not get a hard freeze.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Sherry, I'm not sure how cold you get in that part of Louisiana, but you might want to consider Aeoniums and Echevarias as succulents that will take partial shade.
  • Valerie
    Valerie South Africa
    Lovely combinations. My personal favorites are Echeverias - I have managed to collect quite a wide selection. We have proteas and fynbos, many of which are in full bloom in the mountains surrounding my home. It is absolutely stunning!
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Please post some photos, Valerie. We would love to see them.
  • Valerie
    Valerie South Africa
    I have taken you up on your suggestion and added a number of photographs of my own garden. (Garden transformation). The proteas and many of our indigenous plants are lovely.
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    I used to have lots of succulents and cacti in containers in my courtyard garden when I lived in the suburbs of Sydney in Australia. Kalanchoe (FlapJack), Echivarias, Shwartzkopf. They were the only plants that the local possums would pretty much not
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    It must have been difficult to give up all those plants, Carole. I don't know of any nurseries that will "rehome" plants, but that is a great idea.
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    Hi Douglas, the nursery actually posts an advert in the local newspaper in Sydney asking anyone who is moving house if they want them to take their pot plants and old pots/containers off their hands. Given the density of flats/apartments in Sydney and
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    That's a very resourceful nursery, Carole.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    I have been eye balling those agaves, think I just have to have a couple. LOL And that Safari Sunset is to die for. I have the perfect spot that's looking for an 8 foot buddy. :)
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Catherine Smith You know we're going to want to see a photo of that buddy when he takes up residence.
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      Douglas Hunt Can do Douglas, if I can convince my DH to take the pictures. The camera and I seem to be having some disagreements lately. LOL
  • Donna Dyson
    Donna Dyson Marthaville, LA
    It has been so dry in Louisiana, my succulents are looking terrible. We are praying for rain!! Since they do like dry weather (but not this dry), how often should I water??
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Donna Dyson There are some real succulent pros on Hometalk who will have a better chance of seeing your question if you post it as a new question using the red "post & ask" button at the top of the page.
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    Love it.
  • Krisfrylee
    Krisfrylee Titusville, FL
    Douglas Hunt, what is the best way to move a Cardboard Palm that has gotten too large?
  • MarcioWilges
    MarcioWilges Australia
    I think it's quite hard to arrange for removals of different types of plants in the garden once you've decided on a "theme". For me, I'd probably stick with succulents all the way instead of trying to mix things up thnen just leave things like that.
Douglas Hunt