Cleaning Tarnished Silver with Baking Soda

Baking Soda 02.28.15
A simple and easy way to clean silver using baking soda, tin foil, and boiling water. The complete tutorial is on my blog (just follow the link below) ...

To see more: http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com/2011/11/baking-soda-vs-tarnished-silver.html

• Diann
    Diann Rockwood, MI
    Beautiful redo!
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Wow, what a difference!
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Yep, Baking soda that's what I use...LOL it's wonderful stuff...
  • Gail Salminen
    This is effective, but does tend to take some of the silver away - need to minimize the number of times you use this method. That is why it is not recommended for silver plated - soon the plate will deteriorate. I tend to use the silvo polish - quick and
  • Mom4Real
    Mom4Real Lexington, KY
    Oooh! I totally needed this...I found a stash of silver spoons a few weeks ago! You rock!
  • Sweet Pea Studio
    Wow, thank you for this tip. I use silver items in my oil paintings and this is just a wonderful tip to keep my still life 'props' very shiny.
  • Jeanine Wester
    Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    does this affect a mirror finished silver piece? baking soda is a little abrasive, I would be worried over time it might dull the finish as Gail Salminen mentioned.
  • Gail Salminen
    Jeanine Wester when I am concerned about abrasiveness, I usually use a market product like Twinkle or Hagerty silver care.
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    This method was a chemical experiment in school 54 years ago! We thought it was really cool!
  • Lynn Lawson
    Lynn Lawson Calhoun, GA
    I am so glad you posted this. I have an old silver set from my mom that has been wrapped in newpaper for years! I took them all out and cleaned them this way and they sparkle! I did wash them in the dishwasher afterward so we could use them for eating.
  • Patricia Laursen
    Patricia Laursen Brewster, MA
    I thought it was gold.
  • Rose Marie S
    Rose Marie S Floral Park, NY
    I use tooth paste, you can get the dollar store brand. But it must be the white paste not the gel. Best part is that it is not abrasive. Have been doing this for years, put a small amount (like a dab) on a soft cloth or old t-shirt that you no longer use
Linda @ it all started with paint