Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
how to 08.29.14

Make Your Own Mercury Glass

Simple method of taking any cheap glass vase and making it into a faux antique mercury glass piece. I used two standard glass vases that I picked up at a discount store for less than $10 each. I'm now on the lookout for more pieces at thrift stores to make sparkly Christmas vignettes. Get a can of Krylon "Looking Glass" spray paint (available at Ace Hardware/K-Mart/Craft Stores, according to the Krylon website, but I couldn't find any in Las Vegas, so I ordered the small can online to give it a try). Paint is about $11/can. Step 1. Clean glass well. For the larger piece, I sprayed the inside, for the narrower piece, I sprayed the outside, with identical results. Step 2. Spray, using several light coats, being careful not to overspray to avoid runs. The paint is slightly cloudy when sprayed, but dries VERY quickly to a mirror-like finish. Step 3. After about 3 light coats, mix a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and mist the painted surface enough to create beads. Step 4. Let sit about a minute, then dampen a paper towel with the vinegar/water mixture and firmly "pat" the beaded moisture that sits on the paint. You can actually rub a little in places, removing some of the paint as you go. Keep dabbing/wiping until you create the antique/worn look you desire. Step 5. After the piece completely dries, spray one very light coat of the looking
70778 on Oct 01, 2012
74 Comments Displaying 15 of 74 comments | See Previous
  • Phyllis W
    Phyllis W Saint Pauls, NC
    I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing.

I have a '71 Fleetwood Limo for sale if you know of anyone looking for a project

This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Pamela Jordan
    Pamela Jordan Jones, OK
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE A MIRRORED SURFACE OUT OF AN UNBREAKABLE SURFACE, AS I AM LOOKING TO MAKE AN UNBREAKABLE MIRROR FOR MY 18th MONTH OLD GRANDDAUGHTER WHO LIKES TO DRESS UP & SEE HERSELF!
  • Beverly Farkus
    Beverly Farkus Cornelia, GA
    can the Looking Glass paint be used on vessels that will contain water? Like vases. And can the vessel be hand washed?
    • Nancy
      Nancy Glendale, OR
      Beverly Farkus No, Beverly, this stuff will come off if scrubbed, unless you used a sealant or topcoat.
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    If you coated the outside of the piece (like I did on the tall thin one in my photos), you could use it with water, but not if you spray the inside of the piece. A light rinsing won't hurt the finish, as I have rinsed mine and let them air dry to clean
  • Carol P
    Carol P Fort Scott, KS
    I bought the Krylon spray shinny silver and it does look like a gaze ball. Did it about a month ago and it has rained since. Still is shiny. I did spray prime it in white.
  • Bonnie Medearis
    Bonnie Medearis Chowchilla, CA
    Has anyone tried this on the outside of shower doors? I have glass shower doors in my new house and the glass is water stained and will not come off. I was going to use a sealer and just wipe any finer prints off later very carfully. What is the
    • Bonnie Medearis
      Bonnie Medearis Chowchilla, CA
      Bonnie Medearis I did the shower doors and they turned out awesome. Everyone that sees them loves them. And guess what, no more messing with watermarks on the shower doors! Loving that. I
  • Kristy Attaway
    Kristy Attaway Austin, TX
    Bonnie - I have been thinking of doing this on my guest shower door. The paint would have to be done on the outside I think but I am thinking it might work. I get light directly from above so not worried about the darkness. I keep thinking of spraying
    • Leslie D
      Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
      Kristy Attaway , you can completely remove this spray if you don't like the results. Vinegar will remove it.
  • Robin
    Robin Rushville, IN
    Rust-o-leum has a product called Mirror effect, but the associate said you had to spray the inside to get the mirror look. Has anyone used this product instead? Thoughts?
  • Patt
    Has anyone tried this on colored glass?
  • Hope Frankland-Daniel
    I was looking to redo my dining room furniture. Refinishing the wood with a grey tone. The table top is glass. Do you think this would work? I would just treat the underneath layer, right? WHat do you think?
  • Hope Frankland-Daniel
    Sorry about the crazy photo. It was my profile pic on FB but I couldn't resize it and then it would not delete!?!
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    It should work fine. The spray is rather expensive and I don't know how much it will take. I did 3 pieces and with the multiple coats, it used an entire small can (I couldn't find the larger can). Best thing is, that if you don't like it, it will wash
Leslie D