Make Your Own Mercury Glass

06.21.15
Simple method of taking any cheap glass vase and making it into a faux antique mercury glass piece. I used two standard glass vases that I picked up at a discount store for less than $10 each. I'm now on the lookout for more pieces at thrift stores to make sparkly Christmas vignettes. Get a can of Krylon "Looking Glass" spray paint (available at Ace Hardware/K-Mart/Craft Stores, according to the Krylon website, but I couldn't find any in Las Vegas, so I ordered the small can online to give it a try). Paint is about $11/can. Step 1. Clean glass well. For the larger piece, I sprayed the inside, for the narrower piece, I sprayed the outside, with identical results. Step 2. Spray, using several light coats, being careful not to overspray to avoid runs. The paint is slightly cloudy when sprayed, but dries VERY quickly to a mirror-like finish. Step 3. After about 3 light coats, mix a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and mist the painted surface enough to create beads. Step 4. Let sit about a minute, then dampen a paper towel with the vinegar/water mixture and firmly "pat" the beaded moisture that sits on the paint. You can actually rub a little in places, removing some of the paint as you go. Keep dabbing/wiping until you create the antique/worn look you desire. Step 5. After the piece completely dries, spray one very light coat of the looking glass paint over the already painted surface. This fills in the wiped away spots, adding dimension. You can repeat steps 3-5 until you get the look you want, although I only did it once.
This is the spray paint you will need. Chrome, nor stainless regular spray paint will work. I tried it with normal chrome spray first and it was a disaster.
This is what it looks like after you spray with vinegar/water mixture and blot. Then just spray another light coat over it to get the results below.
The finished product.
  • Pattymelt2u
    Has anyone tried this on colored glass?
    • Pattymelt2u
      Patty Marth No I never received any responses. But I went ahead and tried it on a small jar I had that was a bluish-purple. It turned out okay but I think part of the charm of
  • Hope Frankland-Daniel
    I was looking to redo my dining room furniture. Refinishing the wood with a grey tone. The table top is glass. Do you think this would work? I would just treat the underneath layer, right? WHat do you think?
  • Hope Frankland-Daniel
    Sorry about the crazy photo. It was my profile pic on FB but I couldn't resize it and then it would not delete!?!
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    It should work fine. The spray is rather expensive and I don't know how much it will take. I did 3 pieces and with the multiple coats, it used an entire small can (I couldn't find the larger can). Best thing is, that if you don't like it, it will wash
  • Wanda sinnema
    Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    LOVE LOVE LOVE THE LOOK of mercury glass. hate to say how much I have spent on a few pieces from TV in the past several years..hmmm. think I*'ll redo some old ornaments for a new look on the Christmas tree. THANKS for the inspiration..
Leslie D